Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an "unusual" 1970 Fastback years ago that has a 351W engine with a sticker that says "Ford remanufactured". It appeared to have been recently installed when I took ownership since it was so clean. I'm trying to find out if it originally came with a 351W or 351C.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good question. You can't tell by the engine code, because all it will tell you is H (351 2v) or M (351 4v).

I was going to suggest a Marti report, but I looked at mine and it only says 351 4v - does not designate Cleveland or Windsor.
I also have the original invoice for both cars - again - no C or W designation.

However, I have not seen or heard of a 351W 4v going into a '70 Cougar or Mustang - just 2v cars.

Is your car an H code or M code? Odds are it was a Cleveland, esp if it's an M code. If it's an H code, then I can't think of a way to be certain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks rpxr400,

My car is an "H" code. I have the original paperworks and it doesn't specify "W" or "C", just 351-2V. It was ordered just like a Boss 302 without the stripes. I guess the person who ordered it wanted good fuel mileage without the high insurance. This is why I call this car "unusual".

I have two '70 coupes that came with 351C-2V "H" codes. My fastback has headers so it makes it even harder to tell if its an original 351W car. Thanks for telling me about the Marti Report. I was considering going that route.

BTW, since your car was a "M" code, is it a 4-speed? If so, does it have staggered rear shocks?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The 4bbl 351W was the ONLY 351 available in 1960 but for the 1970 year it could have been either the C or W engine. A few of the 1969 Windsors were installed from the left-over 1969 model year. In 1971 you couldn't tell whether you had a W or C 2bbl but if you had the 4bbl it was a C.
I don't understand why but Ford never differentiated between the two engines on any of their paperwork. (that I am aware of)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Come to think of it many years ago I had a '72 Mach One with a 351W-2V. I bought it just because it had that cool Ram Air hood and air cleaner set-up.

Talk about using left over stuff I ran across a '70 Mach One that had a 69 style disc brake set-up. It must have been an early production.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
To correct a typo in my previous post instead of 1960 it should be 1969.
There were more than a few of the 4bbl 351W installed in the 1970 year cars. I worked a at least ten of them. By 1971 there were no more of the 351W 4bbls left.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.