Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my 351w roller but it needs a rebuild. After I rebuild it I want to get some cheap aftermarket heads and a supercharger. I am going to continue running EFI and want about 400 RWHP. With a set of GT40 heads, trickflow intake, what sort of supercharger would I be looking for? It seems like centrifugal superchargers are a bit less expensive and fit a wider range of applications. Would I need a special bracket to get the supercharger to fit a 351w?

R

·
0 Posts
#1. to get 400 rwhp you will need approx. 450-460 @ flywheel

#2. you will need a better set of heads other than the GT40's

#3 as far as supercharger can't go wrong with a Kenne Bell

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Yup, I'd agree the GT40's would be a little wimpy on a 351.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how bout ported DOOE 351 heads?

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
with all the money you would spend on the 351 heads to make them work, you could buy a REAL NICE set of aluminum heads. :bigthumbsup oh yea, kenne-bell stuff has always been top shelf!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Can you run a KB with anything beefier than a GT40? I thought it was that, stock, or nothing.

·
Registered
640 Posts
what set-up is in the 97 ford lighting? isn't that a 5.8l supercharged 351?

i would love to swap that into my stang

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
ok, some basics on engines, it's an air pump...more air in and out = more hp, a supercharger is hardly the ticket to making power,
The lightning that was supercharged was the mod motor 5.4, not the 351
It's a complete waste of money to put a supercharger on a crappy 351, with bad heads and no intercooler(KENNE BELL) you will not make jack crap for hp...
Now, start thinking stroker 408, with a good rotating assembly, heads, cam and intake 400rwhp would be a low number...HP tv did a stroker 427, it made 610 on their engine dyno...I'm expecting at least that from my build...

·
Registered
640 Posts
2ManyStangs, are you planning on driving a 600+ HP car on the street everyday? thats alot of gas and maintenance to worry about.

i also would like to know what your fuel managment would be on that set-up too cause horsepower TV is generally biased to carburators and not standalone EFI.

why would a S/C 351 be a waste? lets be clear, NONE of these engines were built as boosted engines. the boost part was an after thought. if you build a 351 to be a boosted engine it will make serious power, just like any other "air pump" would. you just have to build it to do what you want it to do. it's a big, dumb piece of metal, it will listen ;)

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
you cannot make hp if the motor does not "breathe"...trying to stuff boost through crappy heads is like trying to drain Lake Erie with a drinking straw
Now my car is EFI, it was a stock 5.0, so the ECU can and will be custom tuned to run the stroker motor...60lb injectors, 90 mm mass air and a huge ass fuel pump will feed the beast..
I'm running a Edelbrock Vic Jr with a Wilson Elbow and 90 mm Accufab for the intake ( all pro ported, to match the pro ported TF heads, of course)...at 12:1 and a dual 200 shot of NOS, I built it to be the most devestating car on the street or track,
Yeah, it is a convertible too, so how much fun will that be?
It should be rollin soon, I'll post pics asap

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
oh yeah, I have two other cars to drive, so gas and maintenance are just facts of life for "car guys"

·
Registered
640 Posts
i saw your sig after i posted. very nice cars in your stable ESPECIALLY that M45 ;)

i'm just curious, why not go standalone and tune with a laptop? that way you make the tune YOU wanna have and not what a ford or modified ford PCM wants you to have.

in my experience the heads usually won't make the most flow, it will be the cam that makes that happen, unless the 351 heads are that $hitty. if they are then they have to go!

12:1 on the street is insane! i wanna build a powerful street car that i can drive from NY to FL without a gas tanker following me.

·
Registered
640 Posts
i saw your sig after i posted. very nice cars in your stable ESPECIALLY that M45 ;)

i'm just curious, why not go standalone and tune with a laptop? that way you make the tune YOU wanna have and not what a ford or modified ford PCM wants you to have.

in my experience the heads usually won't make the most flow, it will be the cam that makes that happen, unless the 351 heads are that $hitty. if they are then they have to go!

12:1 on the street is insane! i wanna build a powerful street car that i can drive from NY to FL without a gas tanker following me.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
yeah, the M45 is really sweet, probably the most underrated car ever built...340 hp, the engine is like "buttah", it's so smooth...with air conditioned seats and Bose stereo can you guess what I spend the most time in? I mess with alot of sports cars with it..Z3s, Vettes, GT stangs, etc
No need for standalone tuning, a Diablosport chip can easily handle the duties
What is also going to be cool is the AODE transmission on the 427 will be controlled by a TCI controller with PADDLE SHIFTERS...OMG, wanted that for so long on a car, I'm glad TCI brought this to the market

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
A big motor like the a 408 or 427 is going to need big heads to move big air. That is just a fact of life. Stock 302 heads are small by factory standards.

·
Registered
640 Posts
i'd like to make a correction to my statement after i have done some research:

i would like to swap in the powertrain from a 99+ lighting. 360 hp drop in OOOh Yeaaaah

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
yep, size does matter in all aspects of the stroker motor...the custom headers alone cost me $900, the cam looks like eggs on a steel shaft, the intake could drain lake erie and the heads and port work...well let's just say $$$$$$$$$

1 - 17 of 17 Posts