Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my original 289 finally bit the dust and I will be in the market for a 347 or 363 stroker this coming winter after i return from the sandbox, so here are the choices i have come to either a 347 or 363 stroker, I am looking for power rang from 400-500rwhp and about same in torque also would like something high reving for gas reasons and such, don't worry i will have a performance automatics C4 or AOD along with a currie 9" true trac with 3.87 gears. Now i also will be upgrading to a total control coilover swap and rack and pinion steering setup, the rear has already been replaced with QA1 adjustable schocke and global west 5 leaf springs with there "special bushings" With ron Morris tie down shock mout plates and she sticks like glue, and bought the global west export brace for the tower support, the tranny and engine is all thats left for me to get and funds are right until winter so my final decisions need to be made and i cant decide weather to go with a dart short block and top end kit or to get the full effect from FRPP there 347 and 363 stroker differ the exact power and choices i am looking for but there pricing seems a lil well high for wht you get i would expect atleast an H-beam for crying out loud, but my buddies running there 351 in her 69 and she loves it and has no problems and I'm leaning towards a DART as well because they offer the 363 with extra boring room for a nice refresh and ford racing dosent seem to back that up for there's . I will be using her as a daily driver and the road courses here at the stadium in hawaii so the suspension will be built to last and i want the engine to last, also looking for a nice high reving build and FRPP only recommends a max of 6000-6500rpm on both the 347 and 363 so DART is slowly becoming a nice choice.

And if i come to the conclusion of getting the dart setup who is the best builder for the buck out there these days? I'm 24 in the military, young but not dumb been working on carburated Betty's my whole life and never swapped out an engine just rebuilt and reused. Built ford my whole life, last being a 85 fox 800rwhp with old man now I'm more into stomping these rice heads at the local roundabout amd want something more street friendly around tight corners and such.

Any and all information would be use full i heard fordstrokers was the best for a dart build but am unable to get into contact with them due to my being in hawaii and my work schedule (1800 when I'm off here 2200 there).

as to what I am looking for is a fully ready plug and play long Betty with a 400-500hp range dependable enough for a daily driver and the typical weekend road course against a supped up civic with a fart can and even there bigger sisters the supras lol ohh how i hate fart cans

·
Registered
351 Posts
those strokers are usually not the choice for a high revving motor.
How about a healthy 306 or 331 stroker, 4 bolt block, big breathing heads, and very good valve train to support it at high rpm.
Wont have nearly the torque of those bigger stroker combos, but will live alot longer on the street daily use, and at those high revs.
Use quality light weight parts, I like I or H beam rods, but if your not pushing boost or juice, a lighter weight I beam will be better for those rpm's.

Ofcourse though, with the strokers, I will bet they will make up for less rpm, more power and give you same results on a race track, but I doubt they will stand up to the daily driven use. you wont get nearly as many miles out of a 347 or bigger, then a quality 306 build, or push a 331.

And to be honest, I have been daily driving my 80 fox with a 350 hp 351w in it, very mild build, good cam an valve train, stock 1970 heads ported alil, exhaust and intake. With a 5 speed and 3.73 gears, there isnt a civic or any ricer burner that I cant walk from any speed or dead stop. I get around 16city 20 highway fuel injected drive 25 miles to work and then back every day.
ofcourse I have other mustangs that are much faster, but I cant drive them as much as this car, mileage, hard starts, heavy clutches, high stall converters

But thats my situation, with you, if you wanna leave them in the dust 400+ would be a goal, and strokers get you there easily, but pick your poison, big cubes from that small block, lower rpm, smaller cubes, slightly more dependable and wider range to use the power in.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You are going to have to pick what you want....high rpm....500rwhp.....daily driver.......great handling....to get all of those, you will have to spend big bucks. In your case I would narrow it down to rpm. If you demand high rpm and daily driver - I would go aftermarket block and 331. If you could get by with a 6000 rpm redline and keep your 500 rwhp - then go Dart 347 or 363 - same difference at that horsepower level.

Narrow your needs - too many viable combinations to get the 500 rwhp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
347/363

I don't know why everyone is talking about the 347s like they won't rev for some reason?
6800-7000rpm out of a decent 347 is no problem,I mean the stroke is still very short at 3.4" vs a 331's 3.25".....and a 363 is just a "big bore" 347,so its not gonna be any less eager to rev.

I say build a 363,use a solid roller cam with .600" + lift and 250-260 deg duration,and a tight LSA 106-108ish,put some AFR heads on it...I would go with 205's,and you will be stomping rice in no time.

If you did the same motor,but with lower compression and an ATI blower,you could either tame down the cam to still get 500hp at the wheels and make it more drive able,or you could still run a monster cam and the blower,and some AFR 225 Outlaw heads and lay waste to anything in your path.Now that sounds like fun!

Scott

PS:The oil "347's are oil burners and/or unreliable" line is bull****.Back in the mid eighties when they first became popular and they didn't have the oil ring support figured out,yes,they were a sideshow,but for 20 years now they have been building 347 pistons with a stainless oil ring support that performs flawlessly.
Sometimes folks just can't let go of something a buddy heard from a friend of his cousin,who knows a guy who read it in a magazine....;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so I'm going with the 347 with a performance automatic c4 transmission but also need to figure out the brakes, I have 4 wheel power disc from an old explorer but want wilwood and I'm running 17 in American racing rims, I'm upgrading to a currie 9" rear that comes with 12.19 rotors and 4 piston calipers should i just do the same up front? I want wilwood all around so I can parts match easier and also converting to a rack and pinion and coilover a from TCP. Any foreseeable problems with This setup?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts