Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that the 393 is more reliable than the 408 for street/strip. What am i looking at as far as RWHP in both of them? Would 3.73 gears be the way to go? Whats the best manual tranny to use with them? Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
go with the 393 because it uses stock 351 rods and stock 302 pistons so all you need to buy is a crank. get a cast steel crank because they are cheap and your block will break before the crank will.

·
Registered
477 Posts
if money is an issue ya a 393 would be the way to go. as far as horsepower 15 cubes ant gonna mean a hole lot but every little bit helps i think 373 would be to much 355 would be better but thats just me. most will say go 373. as far as tranny gos built c4, c6, tko 500 or 600 ( i would go 600 for taller first gear) or a t-56 six speed (holly grail). hope this helps

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would say for the tranny if you plan on using this car on the 1/4 you would want the c4, c6, or TKO 600 (make it street friendly). I don't agree with the t56 for any set up.
I would do a TKO600RR. with 3.55's if you are going to drive daily and 3.73's if she is a weekender. Don't for get you axle shafts and Detroit Truetrac.
I just started tearing down my 92 4 banger for a v8 swap. I would reccomend starting in the back and work your way forward. It sucks blowing up your rearend or tranny and having all your money tied up on your motor alone.
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
477 Posts
why not the t-56 it is very strong has a taller first gear than the tko 600 (just a little) that would make 3.73 even more daily driver frendly and a 6th gear ratio of .50. i am refuring to the viper spec tranny. this all sounds like a win win situation. have you heard something bad about this tranny?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.