Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 3g and need to install the wires properly. I understand that there are two plugs on the stock alternator. One will be left alone(smaller D shaped one), And the other one has three wires going into the plug with two being large black ones and a small black and white one. The black and white one goes to the small single plug on the 3g right? What happens to the two larger black wires?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope, they don't appear to be orange at all, both are just black. I'll take a closer look at them tonight when I Get home. What am I supposed to do with them if they are the orange and black wires?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
They should be Black with an orange stripe. If they are they should run to the starter solenoid to a green fusible link. You can either do away with them and run a larger cable to the solenoid, to the charging post on the Alt, or cut them, spice them into an larger size wire and then run them to the Charging post on the Alt.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
As soon as I find everything Reggie, Ill be using those links. This site is just so much larger than the others I visit.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so it looks like the white wire goes to the stator pin connection on the alternator, and the orange and black wires go on to the post sticking out of the alternator right? And thats the only changes that need to be made right?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh yeah, I disconnected the battery while the car was running and it continued to run. This means the alternator is good right? my instrument panel starts to dim when I start turning on accessories.

·
Registered
224 Posts
you don't want to run the old black w/orange stripe wires. They arent big enough to handle the load from the larger alternator safely, doubly true if you are installing an aftermarket stereo or something of that nature. Much higher chance of them melting or catching on fire and then you're in a world of hurt, specially since about a a few inches down the wire you'll find that its really only one wire, not two, its just spliced for the two pins in the plug.

Get the 4 gage wire from a local stereo shop, and either use the fusible links like Reggie did or get a 200A fuse...stereo shop will carry those too. Auto zone carries the plastic wire wrap so you can put that around the 4g install and make it look better as well as protect the insulation. It's cheap! They also carry heat shrink, which is good since the 4g crimp on connectors usually arent insulated so you can shrink the exposed bits for increased safety AND appearance.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so your saying I should follow the orange and black wires back from the alternator and find out where they merge into one? Then splice a larger 4 gauge wire to it the one orange and black with a 200a fuse in between? Is there any chance that I blew a fusible link when I disconnected my battery? Could I just eliminate splicing into the orange and black wires altogether and just run 4 gauge all the way to the starter solenoid?

·
Registered
319 Posts
After I installed the alternator, I just ran a 2 gauge wire from the back of the alternator around the front of the radiator over to a 150a circuit breaker, then another wire from the CB to the starter solenoid. I've had no problems with it so far. I just effectively capped the ends of the old wires I didn't use, since you can't really use them for anything now and to unravel the whole thing just to remove them from the harness seems cumbersome. Plus you can hook up the old alternator again more easily, should you ever want to do such a thing.

·
Registered
224 Posts
ok so your saying I should follow the orange and black wires back from the alternator and find out where they merge into one? Then splice a larger 4 gauge wire to it the one orange and black with a 200a fuse in between? Is there any chance that I blew a fusible link when I disconnected my battery? Could I just eliminate splicing into the orange and black wires altogether and just run 4 gauge all the way to the starter solenoid?
No, dont use the black/orange wires at all...open the wire harness back to where they are spliced, cut the wire just before the splice splits them into two wires, and crimp on a 10gage butt connector there and then electrical tape the other end closed. You wont be using the black/orange at all. I left the end at the solenoid connected since i thought i read something about the fusible link being used for another circuit

the last part of your post is correct, just run the 4g wire all the way from alt to the solenoid on the driver side (should be a 3/8" post) assuming its the same position as my '88s. Fuse or link placement is up to you, i put mine about 6" from the solenoid though. If you run the wire along the same wire harness as the black/orange its easy enough to ziptie the wires together.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, got it to work. Grabbed some 4g wire from home depot and ran it from the charging post on the alternator to the positive side of the battery. Works great. Thanks guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.