Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question regarding this 3m Film protectant. Does the whole panel have to be covered with this depending on which is chosen, (rocker, hood, rear quarter, doors). Also what does this due to the paint finish and luster, is in completely invisible???? Meaning if you covered say half of the door, would the break point or line of the film be visible in the sunlight. Also after this has been applied do you just wash, wax, polish the car as normal? Also is there any chance of bubbles happening and if so can this stuff be removed??

Was thinking about mudflaps but someone here suggested to check this stuff out, myself am thinking about the rocker panels, rear quater wrapping all the way to the bottom nd comign up to the first line of the body panel (near the bottom). Maybe even the door leading edge and then in the summer do the hood to help with bugs. Just not familiar with it enough to put it on a brand new car.

Sorry for askign so many questions but am really afradi of putting this on a new car...any info will bemuch appreaciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have seen this type of film used on a television program showing Jay Leno's car collection. They were applying it to some of the antique cars that he drove and it looked pretty simple to do, once it was cut to the correct size.
Since some of these cars are priceless, I would assume that the film is safe on the finish.

More to the point of your questions, you could see the edge lines of the film but prob because you knew that it was there, the cars were mostly black, white or burgandy and the film appeared invisible. It was only applied sparingly to the front of the cars. I'm sure that it will wear differently than paint, such as hazing over time, but it will protect from chipping.

I am thinking about looking into getting some of this film to put on the front of the car, specifically the leading edge of the hood and the area between the lights and the grill. Don't think I want to tackle the bumper.

If I get around to look for this stuff I'll post or pm info.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm having my car done in a couple of days. I checked a couple of companies out. The company (PLastic Surgeons) that's doing my car has been doing this for some time and does many cars on a weekly basis. Yhey do alot of exotics and higher end cars (like BMW, Mercedes, Acura, etc.) for dealers.

Most of the product out there is exclusively a 3M product. The kits you see are companies that simply cut the film into patterns that fit the vehicle. Most companies will sell direct to the end-user. Depending on the vehicle, the film is applied with varying degrees of difficulty. I chose to have a company that specializes in this work to apply it because I've never have.

You can purchase minimal coverage that will just cover the front part of the hood and leading front edges of the vehicle. A more deluxe kit will protect the entire front end, rockers, and the areas behind the wheels. The product is a glossy, hi-lustre 8 mil thick 3M product. Once its on, you will see a line (or the edge) up close; within a couple of feet. Once you step back, you won't be able to see the edges.

As I said, you can purchase direct from a company called Xpel (www.xpel.com). The basic kit for the '05 Mustang is $132; a deluxe kit was about $330 (I think). For $700, I'm getting the deluxe kit installed plus door edge protection. I think it's worth it, considering I already have a couple of small chips in the leading edge of the hood. It can be washed and waxed as well as removed. It will have to be removed if you're considering stripes down the road. I definitely wanted to do something to protect the car. My last car was an '01 Grand Prix GT from new. After 4 years of daily use, the front of the car, the leading edge of the hood, as well as the rockers, looked like it was sandblasted. Let you know how it turns out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts