Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a recently rebuilt 3 speed toploader from a buddy of mine for pretty cheap that i plan to use on my moderatly built 289. the guy gave me everything for it but the flywheel and clutch disc. Now i have searched all morning trying to find out a way to tell what flywheel the bellhousing is for but all i have managed to do is give myself a headache. First i tried to find out the vin numbers but after seeing the transmission case, input shaft, and bellhousing all having different year and car codes i quickly lost confidence in the numbers. Every guy on the web has a different half accurate way of measuring by eye to see which bellhousing it is but ive put the wrong starter on the wrong flywheel before and rreeeaaallly dont want to go down that road again. Not to mention one guys measurement would say it is a 157 then another guys measurment would apply to my bellhousing saying its a 164 :confused: (hence my headache)

For the part numbers the bellhousing reads D2OE-6394-AA on the back of the hump for the starter. The case reads C8AR-C. and the plate the input shaft goes through reads C5AR. The guy i bought from had the tranny in a 70 comet but said it was not original to the car.

If anyone has a sure fire way to find out what tooth count flywheel it needs i would be greatly appreciative, i am almost dead set on 157 tooth but once again i really dont want to have to bite a $200 loss on a flywheel for wrong size or strip teeth off a brand new one trying to bump wrong starter

PS the clutch he was using has a 10 in friction surface, and if it helps he gave me the starter he used as well

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
913 Posts
The numbers didn't change every year. For example, you might see a "C5TA-6394-A" bellhousing as late as 1971.

I haven't any reference to your D2 here, but it's likely that any D2 would be a 164, which Ford switched to in the Mustang in 1968.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i had read but i couldnt verify it. i actually pulled my 289 and aod out yesterday so once i get a chance to get back over there ill pull the tranny off the motor and compare the toploader bellhousing and the 164 tooth flexplate on it and that should point me in the right direction

appreciate your input David, after i read the D2OE code was for a torino/fairlane, 164 tooth crossed my mind but couldnt find any info backing it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone know if Auto flex plates and flywheels of the same teeth are the same diameter? i dont know if the pitch is different. I tried the bellhousing on the 164 tooth flex plate for the AOD and the 164 tooth was extremely large, bellhousing wouldnt even get over the flexplate to get remotely close to the block. Whats got me stumped now is the 72 torino manual calls for the 164 tooth?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I happen to have one each of the 157T sitting right here and they are both 13 5/16" over all diameter. Would sure asume the pitch is the same. The 164T measures at 14 1/4".
Another Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Dave i just happen to have found a site that had all the diameters posted. 164 being to big i say its safe to assume its gonna be a 157 tooth flywheel

was having hard time finding a flywheel that size for the clutch this guy had on it, apparantly the 10 in clutch disc is not a very popular choice, started looking for a 10.5 with 157 tooth and my search got alot easier. appreciate the help guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts