Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for those of you who have installed 4.10 Gears. My local hot rod shop (who I highly respect) said that the installation of the 4.10's would take about 5 hours. And they charge $70 a hour. So it looks like I would be paying $350 plus tax. I've seen that some of you have paid about $200 for your installation. So my question is how long did it take your shop to install your gears and how much is your shops hourly rate? Thanks much.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Dear Jerry II,

That's about right...

I live in Chicago and just had a place install 3.73s in my automatic...

I purchased a Ford Racing Gear Set for about $180.00 and they did the installation for $375.00 including gasket and fluid...

Maybe in a smaller town, where the rates are lower, you could get the same job done for less...

As far as how much time is required, I don't know because I left the car in the morning and picked it up in the evening (had to work to pay for it)...

My total was $555.00...

Dave :drink:

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
I believe my install was $250. I guess that was based on a theoretical amount of time it would take at the shop's $80/hr. rate. However, it took the guy like 45 minutes. He clearly knew what he was doing (I watched).

Gears can be f'd up real easily. I'd recommend getting someone who knows their installation inside and out. This guy said he did gear installations every day. It really shouldn't take anyone worth their salt 5 hours...

·
Registered
183 Posts
The rate per hour sounds about right. My guess he's giving you a worst-case of 5 hours. I had my done at the same time that I had the springs & sway bars replaced and it took less than that. The bottom line is that it sounds like you trust him, which IMO is worth the additional cost to ensure a quality install.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts