Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my local club message board has been having some heated debate about running 4.10 gears with stock 4.6 motors. I have an 02 GT 'vert with an auto (please don't make fun of that, I catch enough crap already!!:laughlitt ) Will running 4.10's really screw my engine up or pose serious problems with driveability? I'm not concerned with gas mileage, or I wouldn't have bought a GT to begin with, right? I am worried that the gears will be too steep or cause powertrain issues. Most of the people I talk to say don't go over 3.73, but for now I do not plan to put any forced induction on the engine any time soon. I do want to do some intake/TB/plenum upgrades and a new program, but other than that I'm gonna leave it pretty much alone. So, go with the 4.10's or 3.73's?? Thanks.

Rick

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
4.10's are not too much for an auto. Most people recommend 4.10's for autos because they have less gearing in 1st and 2nd gear than manual trannies do (your other message board is full of idiots.) However, if you put gears in an auto without a handheld tuner or a dyno tune, you are going to have shift problems as well as longevity problems with the transmission.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have 3.73's and they work real well with my mods. 1st through 3rd gear have plenty of power and the acceleration is great which is good till about 110 mph. The shift into fourth gear drops the rev quite a bit and i cant find a shift kit for my auto. I would say 3.73 are the route to go unless you want to be running slicks at the tracks or plan on installing a stall converter then id say to go with 4.10's. I have a hard enough time getting off the line with 3.73's.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
410s with a auto arent bad. get what you what and what you think is right for yourself..

·
Registered
214 Posts
a lot of guys that go to the tracks a lot are putting 3.73s in their 5 speeds and 4.10s in their autos. I went with 3.73s cause I drive at least 60 miles a day.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
I say go with the 4.10's. Got em' in my 5-speed and love it. :winks Your going to need the tuner to correct your speedo, and there is alot of adjustability to help your trans.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
Get the 4.10`s , and let people make fun of your Auto, because its always fun after you race someone and blow their doors off, and they ask you what you have done to your stang, and you say ITS A STOCK AUTO !:evillol:

Make`s me laugh anyway !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya know, I never thought of it like that! :winks Beautiful!! 4.10's it is! Can't wait to see their faces!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an auto and want 4.10's also, what kind of shift problems and longevity problems Monkey Boy? Will a SCT tuner fix it and what do you need to fix the problems, thanks..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.