Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had 4.10's put in my 04 last week. First of all let me say I love them, however I'm not too sure it was a great job done by the shop.

1. It whines when there isnt a load on the car... not under accel or decel, just when you are crusing and you aren't putting anything under a real load. I'm not terribly worried about this, its just annoying.

2. the one time i've taken my car over 100 since then it has a pretty good vibration that gets pretty bad over 120...it used to feel like it was on glass before, so its definatly a problem with the new gears or the job done.
-I'm thinking that the driveshaft wasnt marked and put back on like it was taken off??? its something that definatly needs to be fixed, but the only way i can show the mechanic whats going on is to get out on the highway and hit 120... thats not gunna happen.

other than that, the gears are great. they are a hoot in town- alot of shifting... and dont expect to have to shift into 3rd on the interstate to pass anymore! 3rd redlines around 75 now!

i havent romped on it yet, I dont want to be too hard on them for a while. I'm just slowly getting on it and running it up. no hard launches or power shifting for a while-

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Yeah you wanna break them in for maybe 200 miles before power shifting or anything. I would take it back to that shop and tell them to fix that, sometimes i get just a lil gear whine in mine, but its not bad at all, no1 else even notices.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, the mechanic said he was let it run in gear for about 20 minutes on the lift, so it neeed no break in, but I'm not too sure about that. I'm sticking to my 200 mile plan... only about 40 to go and i'll give'er hell.
any other thoughts on the vibration other than not markng the driveshaft and putting it back on 180 off...

maybe i'll just get under there and look for a mark, if there isnt a mark i'll just unbolt it and turn it myself...

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I know everyone has their opinion. in 25 years of hot rodding I have never broken in a set of gears.I will drive the car about 15 miles let it cool and do it again. run a couple good heat and cool down cycles your good to go.they are made to put in and use. I had my 4;10'S installed sat was at the tack on sunday. just my 2 cents ;)

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I would get a aftermarket DS to fix the vibrations at higher speeds. It will smooth out the ride after a gear install. I recommend the FMS DS from summit:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
309 Posts
You gotta realize how much faster your driveshaft is spinning at that speed now with the new gears. I'd take the driveshaft out and have it balanced or get an aluminum one. There is no way to install a driveshaft 180 degrees out, it doesn't matter. But I bet it's the driveshaft, not the gears.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Driveline Shop

One question: Did the install include all new bearings, ie, the full install kit? Old bearings will sometimes nearly instantly fail after such a swap.

Run the car by a good Driveline specialty shop. Have them check it out, get a second opinion.

I think the gears are as "run in" as they will be. The vibration Could be a number of things, though normally it is the driveshaft.

Get an expert second opinion.

Official off-the-wall tripleblack wild guess: A bearing is bad and the driveshaft IS out of balance (all the OE ones are, just a little).

·
Banned
652 Posts
no need for break in, you got a bad install. id take it back if i was you.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
There's no recovering those gears. Unfortunately once that wear pattern is established there's no turning back.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
noooo dont get an aluminum driveshaft theyre terrible. your better off getting the stocker rebalanced. the whine and all that sounds like he messed the shims up or somthing and didnt install it right. you where saposed to give them a break in with heat cycles this couldve cause the vibration if you just got on it right away. definatly take it back to the shop

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
What's wrong with the aluminum DS?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Cost

What's wrong with the aluminum DS?
Pricey. It DOES reduce weight in the drivetrain, allowing the engine to rev quicker (lightweight flywheels also do this, though they have the unintended consequence for street cars of also hurting driveability with 5 speed cars because the light flywheel loses stored energy so quickly).

As a mod, the aluminum driveshafts are somewhere in the middle of the pack as far as benefits-to-cost ratio. There are a lot of other mods that yield more results per dollar.

Having said that, if my driveshaft were bad, I'd probably swap in an aluminum unit as an upgrade.

Of course, I'm a fiend about shedding weight on a car anyway.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Pricey. It DOES reduce weight in the drivetrain, allowing the engine to rev quicker (lightweight flywheels also do this, though they have the unintended consequence for street cars of also hurting driveability with 5 speed cars because the light flywheel loses stored energy so quickly).

As a mod, the aluminum driveshafts are somewhere in the middle of the pack as far as benefits-to-cost ratio. There are a lot of other mods that yield more results per dollar.

Having said that, if my driveshaft were bad, I'd probably swap in an aluminum unit as an upgrade.

Of course, I'm a fiend about shedding weight on a car anyway.
I got mine because I had really bad vibration at higher speeds after the gear install and that cured the problem for me and on the plus side I saved some weight:D But yes I agree that there are better mods per dollar for performance:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Vibration

I got mine because I had really bad vibration at higher speeds after the gear install and that cured the problem for me and on the plus side I saved some weight:D But yes I agree that there are better mods per dollar for performance:bigthumbsup
Yep, LOL, I have to watch myself responding too quick when the pre-99's have certain problems, and particularly the S197's are plenty different too.

I expect the driveshafts for the S197's to ultimately drop in price a little bit after more companies start offering them and there is more competition.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Yeah, my buddy was looking at DS's for his 07 GT and I remember his first impression, :happyhapp (not happy happy as the smiley says, but shocked)You have got to be kidding me lol. I was glad that I have a new edge:bigthumbsup But yeah he's saving for gears and tuner, which is the way to go on the S197's.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its got new bearings inside, and the whine is all but gone after 400 miles...
I had a few days of short distance driving, no hot rodding and no high speeds before i took it on the interstate. I still havent been hammering gears or launching hard.

if the driveshaft is out of balance, how much roughly doest it cost to have it balanced? I know an aluminum one is about 200 or so, so surely it cant be that expensive to balance the OE one. i'm cut off from spending $$$ on the car for a while... every time i get to buy something for my car the wife gets something of equal value.... and I'm broke after the gears and install... then her shopping spree

·
Registered
521 Posts
There isn't suposed to be any whine in gears if there is the install was off

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.