Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I want some gears for my car and I don't know what size or brand to get. I read that the Ford Racing gears don't whine as much as the others, so should I go with them? I drive on the highway maybe once or twice a week, and I drive to the mountains maybe once a week to snowboard. Will the 4.10's kill my gas mileage? Right now I'm getting 15 miles to the gallon :eyebulge:. Also, what else will I need besides the gears, speedo corrector, and bearing kit? Where is a good place to buy? Thanks for any info!

Tanner

·
Registered
554 Posts
Dont get a steeper gear if you are worried about mileage. 15mpg sounds pretty bad for an unmodded vehicle. I would spend some $$ on a tune-up first.

The difference between a 3.73 and 4.10 gear on the highway is about 4-500 rpm.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Hey, yea 15mpg seems odd, i had 22mpg stock combination city/highway.

I probably would have gotten 390s for my gears instead of 373s if i did not drive as much as i do.

you are also correct, you need to adjust speedo for your new gear.

mustangtuning.com has some really good deals. MOTIVE gears are made same as Ford Racing and they are cheaper, right now mustang tuning is having a sale 129.99 for 410s or 373s, you can also get the bearing kit for 70 something. i would get it just to be on safe side, why spend the x amount of money again to re open and fix a bad beaing, why not just do it while its open.

if you are concerend with mpg and gears there is always 355s over stock 327s but its kinda pointless unless you are running a supercharger or a turbo and are running out of gears quickly.
http://www.mustangtuning.com/rearend.html

·
Registered
626 Posts
I just bought 3.90 gears... I got them from Brenspeed, mustangtuning has em backordered for a month or two. They are selling them for the same price. I also got my tuner from Brenspeed and he's been good with customer service..

·
Registered
1,860 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm still getting 20mpg highway with my 4.10s in overdrive.

Again though, MPG talk and gear talk just dont go well together. You have to pay to play.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
pay to play, couldnt agree more.

·
Banned
2,188 Posts
Don't fear the gear! :laughlitt Your mileage does seem kinda bad, you must drive like me. I was getting 17 MPG stock, but I literally drive it like I stole it, practicing my launches at every stoplight. I finally remembered to set my trip odometer to calculate MPG since I got the predator and gear, but I still got a full tank. I will update as soon as I refill. I love my 4.10's and am very happy with my choice. As far as brand goes, I have no whine from mine, however I saw the FRPP's on a website for the same price I got my Motive's. I just can't remember the darn site, sorry!:sosad:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well my gas mileage will get worse, but that's the price you pay for speed. I was just concerned about traction. Right now my car seems IMPOSSIBLE to launch without roasting the tires. Maybe my tires are just really sh1tty? If I get gears right now, my car will be out of control. What are some good mods to gain traction besides slicks?

Also, I heard a lot of the Motive gears whine. Is this true? Because they seem to be WAY cheaper than the other brands...

·
Banned
2,188 Posts
As long as they are installed properly, they should not whine. As far a traction goes, you may need to beef up your suspension. Maybe some lower and upper control arms to start. Alot of the big name companies, such as Steeda and Maximum Motorsports, sell suspension packages specific for the type of racing you are into, road or drag. Be aware though, they can be very pricey.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
i have motive 373s are i have to admit the have a very little whine right now, it was a little louder but after it has been in use it has gone down, richmond gears whine like nobodies business lol.

its all in the install.

M

·
0 Posts
If its a 5 speed or just worried about gas mileage 3.73s, otherwise auto go with no less then 4.10 is what i hear from everyone. My car is a weekend driver so hopefully this tax return i am gonna get gears, and i am going 4.30s!!! When i drive it on the highway ill just have to go about 65 mph, the speed limit. lol

·
Registered
364 Posts
split the difference.

3.90s FTW

·
Banned
2,188 Posts
How often do you go over 80 MPH on the highway anyways. With 4.10's I'm running 2600-2700 RPMs at 80 MPH. If anything, its a good reason to slow down and avoid costly speeding tickets. The top end is still there for the occasional race, and you'll get more use out of 5th gear. Just my opinion, not trying to start another war of the gear topic, lord knows we've had enough.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
my driving schedule has changed for good this time think and if i had to do it again all ove rid do 390s. more than 373 less than 410.

·
Banned
2,188 Posts
I agree, 3.90's would be a good balance, especially if you do alot of highway driving. Mine is mostly city, and whenever I get on the highway I am sitting in traffic.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
hey now this time a year its like that, all the northern people from north coming down for the winter, everything is packed, i rarely see a FL plate lol

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
I ould definitely worry about getting a tune up and figure out what's up with the gas milage first. I got 26 on the highway just this afternoon. Mixed city/highway we get 20-22 regularly. Once you get that straight then start thinking more about the gears. My $.02 is 3.90's also.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If I may be allowed to speak. I've been doing a little research on the subject, and what I've come up with is if you have a 5 speed and it's a daily driver, then go with the 3.73's. If it's an auto tranny then get the 4.10's. Reason being that the ratios of the gears in a 5 speed are quicker than the gears in an auto. But if you drive your car like a madman whenever you get behind the wheel and you have a 5 speed, then go for it and get the 4.10's. I have an auto and will be getting the 4.10's because I am the aformentioned madman, that and my car only sees 3-4 thousand miles a year, but they are hard miles :happyhapp . DRIVE IT LIKE YOU DON"T WANT ANYONE ELSE TO STEAL IT.:kooky:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.