Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it pointless to do both the gears and get 20's? or would it help but not make as big of diff.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Actually the bigger the tire or in this case the rim it can knock down a gear, I dont remember what the numbers were but it would actually balance itself back down to around a 373 if you put 410s. Its been years since ive done that but im sure its easy to find. What you should really ask yourself is what are you trying to do, 20s on a stang (most gear heads would say :nono:) but we understand the new thing but looking at what your trying to compare you want performance and style, big wheels means weight, weight and torque from high gears is another :nono:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
If you are trying to race, it is pointless. Most 20's are heavy as sin and are pointless for racing.

If you are looking for some spirited driving on the freeway, it's not the end of the world to have both. I have both and am relatively happy, although the 20's are about to hit the road in favor of 18's. The ride is too rough for me.

·
Registered
633 Posts
could he go with a even biger gear higher in number.whats the next one up from 410.i am guessing here but say like 4.36 or somthing with the 20 rims and they would be like haveing 410.but i could be way off.all i know is i have 410 with stock 17 and love them most of the time not on the highway.but i am going to get bigger wider tires and 18 rims and tires in the future wondering how that will affect my 410 gears.does any body have any pics with 20 rims on these cars.

·
Registered
256 Posts
yeah I have 430 gears with a 28 inch tires but im on draglights they weight like 5lbs lol. Bigger gears would also kill his driveability, rpm would still be very high, causing heat and stress to the motor, if its a show car, do your 20s, if you want to play around run here and there dont go big, go light

·
Registered
633 Posts
so even with big tires and rims with big gears you still turn the same rpms as you did when had 17.i am confused people have been telling me when i get my new tires and rims taller and wider that it will be like my 410 will be like 373 or 390.but if i am still turning the same rpms want it be the same power :headscratch:.

·
Registered
144 Posts
so even with big tires and rims with big gears you still turn the same rpms as you did when had 17.i am confused people have been telling me when i get my new tires and rims taller and wider that it will be like my 410 will be like 373 or 390.but if i am still turning the same rpms want it be the same power :headscratch:.
Nope. Even if you calculate your tire size to maintain your current final drive ratio, you are still adding rotational mass to your drivetrain, so power will be sacrificed for pretty-points if you go big.

Mind you: I have 20's and I love how they look. My car doesn't see much track time since the nearest 1/4 mile to me is over 100 mile away. So......I chose pretty over fast. To each their own. When I put on my my aluminum flywheel, clutch and driveshaft, it will balance out. Not to mention, I still have a set of 17" stocks which I am going to throw some sticky tires on for the track.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I did 20's and 4.10's and saw almost no difference with the 20's over 18s, but a HUGE difference with the gears.

My order of mods was from stock to 20's to CAI and tune to 4.10's. I didn't realize how much difference the gears made til I went to 3.73's a couple weeks ago. For the few days I ran them before the supercharger arrived, I was happy I had been running the 4.10s.

If you are more concerned about your time at the track than how your car looks, stay away from 20s, but if you like driving in style and enjoying your car, go 20's and 4.10s.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think i will just get black 18 in deep dish bullits and paint my calpers red. anybody have a idea how to do it.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
its a fact: wheel / tire size goes up, so does 60 foot times. the 20s will affect your final ratio for sure, probably taking it to the 373 mark, maybe 390. in fact, even though i ordered my 06 with 18 in bullitts, my slicks are slapped on 17s so i get a little better launch at the track. you just need to decide, looks or performance. me personally, im happy with the looks of my car stock, but she could use a little more kick in the pants on the performance side to fully satisfy me, so unless its a go fast mod, it isnt on my list!!!!:shigrin but each to thier own.... btw, check on those tire prices for the 20s before you buy, the 18s are expensive enough for me...

·
Registered
32 Posts
imo, you would be surprised on how many people "suggest" now that 20" wheels will kill your performance, speed, etc....Then look at them a couple of years later and see that they are running 20"s themselves :headscratch:

20"s + 4.10s on a stock GT would see an improvement in the acceleration dept......braking and ride comfort...well, that's another thing :gringreen

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
imo, you would be surprised on how many people "suggest" now that 20" wheels will kill your performance, speed, etc....Then look at them a couple of years later and see that they are running 20"s themselves :headscratch:

20"s + 4.10s on a stock GT would see an improvement in the acceleration dept......braking and ride comfort...well, that's another thing :gringreen
How are heavier wheels going to help with accleration?

20" wheels will kill your performance and speed, but how concerned should one be with high end performance and speed on a city street? That is what a track is for and if you are running 20's there, more power to you, because I certainly will not be doing that.

It's no different than getting drilled rotors. They aren't these worldbeaters in braking performance, but people get them because they look good. 20's are no different.

·
Registered
519 Posts
My 20's are about 3 lbs more each with the tires mounted. Not exactly an extreme amount of rotational mass. Enough for perhaps .1 longer 1/4 mile times. The 4.10s more than made up for it. Personally, I barely noticed a change in the ride quality with the 20's. The lowering springs made a HUGE difference in the quality of the ride, but that isn't an issue in this thread.

Oh, and unless you opt for some oddball tire height, your final drive ratio and speedo will not change with the wheel.

Bottom line is: Do what you want. If you like the looks and feel of 18's, do it. If you like the looks of 20's, do it. If you don't want to sacrifice a tenth of a second in the quarter or add 5 feet to the 60-0 stopping distance, then don't put 20's on. It's all up to you, which is the beauty of owning your own car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How are heavier wheels going to help with accleration?

20" wheels will kill your performance and speed, but how concerned should one be with high end performance and speed on a city street? That is what a track is for and if you are running 20's there, more power to you, because I certainly will not be doing that.

It's no different than getting drilled rotors. They aren't these worldbeaters in braking performance, but people get them because they look good. 20's are no different.
Yes, you are correct. But I said, 20"s + 4.10s on a stock GT would see an improvement in the acceleration dept...

I also agree with you that 20's are not for performance, more for looks. But like the post above me, 3lbs per rim...that is more rotational mass, but comon'...you have to find a happy median :bigthumbsup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.