Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to do a gear swap. With the 5-speed auto, its seems the car could easily handle the 4.30's in the 1/4 mile. The charts I have checked show rpms about 600rpm higher then stock with the 3.55's at freeway speed. Yet when I read posts / magazine articles / the gear of choice seems to be 4.10's. Anyone out there have 4.10's and wish they went more aggressive with 4.30's? Perhaps the opposite, anyone go with 4.30's and wish they went with 4.10's?

·
Registered
261 Posts
i believe if you hav an auto you dont hav 3.55's you have i think 3.13's for stock. from what ive read 4.10's should be ok but may be as high as youd like to go.:)

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've had the 4:10's in my auto for about a month and love them. They really make a difference. If you have an auto the stock ratio is 3:31. With the overdrive, highway driving rpm's are higher but manageable. I don't think you want to get more aggressive if you do a lot of high speed driving. In either case you will have to recalibrate your speedo. Easy enough if you own an SCT XCAL.

·
Registered
465 Posts
None that I can ascertain. The motor's not turning that much faster in OD than with the stock. Of course with OD turned off it is turning around 3000 RPM @ 60 MPH. Still I think that in terms of balance, acceleration vs. highway crusing, the 4:10's are a good choice. I almost went with 3:73's but decided on the 4:10's. I kept thinking if I don't go with my heart, I'd reget it and my heart was set on the 4:10's.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I GOT 4:10'S and i love them and have said this over and over. mine is a daily driver. if i had another beater car and only drove the stang half the week, i would of got 4.30's or even 4.56's. i dont think gears can hurt your car that much. most of the time it's the driver. depending on what u use your car for determines the gears. you have a daily driver go with 4.10's you want a super charger later in life get 3.73's. if the stang is a secondary driver get 4'30's, if the stang is built for the track get 4.56's

hope this helps.

and more importantly, get frpp gears and heve them installed by an old guy who has done thousands of gear changes. that way you dont have any whining props.

later

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. This is why I like these forums, you can always learn something from people who have first hand experience about your question (in this case, the 4.10 gearing). And all of this time I thought I had 3.55's with the auto trans...:sterb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts