Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone here running 4.30 gears in a street car? would 4.30 be to much for a street car? over kill or not? reason im asking is because im about to rebuild my rear end and i would like to know if i should run 4.30 over 4.10 some people are telling me that i will have overheating problems if driven for more than 30 minutes? Is this true?:headscratch:

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
I know a guy with 4:88 gears and a C4 and yes, he drives it on the street. He even drives it 3 hours to Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach.
What's acceptable is up to the person driving it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i mean gas and all that is not a problem the rest of my holding together is...

R

·
0 Posts
I know a guy with 4:88 gears and a C4 and yes, he drives it on the street. He even drives it 3 hours to Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach.

you failed to mention it is nornally a 1.5 hour trip...:laugh:

i'm betting money his highway speed is not much over 45 mph....:)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
4.30's may be fun for the first week, but they will get old real fast. I have 3.73's in my car and they are just fine. I believe it's too much for a stock motor.

·
Registered
897 Posts
The "overheating" explanation or reason that you were given is incorrect. I have 2 customers using 4.30 gears and one using 4.56 gears in their daily drivers with no problems for years.... besides, in terms of an rpm difference at a steady speed between a 4.10 and 4.30 set of gears is minimal.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright so do you guys think i should go 4.30 i means its a street\ weekend strip car that i drive everyday gas is not a problem and i want to come off the line a little bit harder... soon installing a transbrake :D so i mean are there any gains for 4.30?

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
you failed to mention it is nornally a 1.5 hour trip...:laugh:

i'm betting money his highway speed is not much over 45 mph....:)
:hihi: 1.5 hours to Myrtle Beach... I wish.
He runs that thing up to 75-80 all the time and the engine is just a buzzing, he drives like a maniac but a responsible maniac. Never had a problem with it (331) and he runs it hard. I've tried to get him on here but no dice yet.

Alright so do you guys think i should go 4.30 i means its a street\ weekend strip car that i drive everyday gas is not a problem and i want to come off the line a little bit harder... soon installing a transbrake :D so i mean are there any gains for 4.30?
If you already have 4:10's, I'd say stick with those because that's a lot of work for small gains. Maybe try the transbrake first to see if that satisfies your need for a harder launch, which it just might.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for your words of wisdom lol :hihi:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I went from a 3.73 to a 4.10 in the rear and i didnt really notice a difference i would just stick with the 4.10

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.