Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
If your for all out performance turbos have been know for providing that because the dont require HP from the engine to run them like superchargers do. I hears that in a 3000 HP Drag Car the Supercharger takes about 300HP to run it. So my vote would be to be a little different an go for a turbo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya thats what I was thinking, so I was leaning more onto the turbo idea im pretty sure it is a little more money but I think it would be worth it. Plus you would get the wicked blow off sound. Now the question is single, twin, or sequential

·
Registered
539 Posts
Supercharges have a pretty sweet roar to them. Plus(IMO) a turbo is more top end I think as opposide to a charger being the whole rpm width. (Less on top) So What type of speed do you want?

·
Registered
70 Posts
hey man..i plan on installing a turbo kit on mine..here pretty soon..hopefully by may...im gonna go with STS's rear mount kit...theres no turbo lag....and since ther turbo is gonna go in the back...your turbo stays alot cooler, then under the hood...and their kit, is alot cheapier then any other,and any other supercharger...check them out...its 2500 for the stage II kit, and 3000 for the stage III kit...

Squires Turbo Systems - Turbocharged Innovation!....

·
Registered
44 Posts
A twin turbo would be fantastic but also ridiculously expensive, there's alot of cobra owners losing their stock supercharger and throwing on twin turbos then pushing anywhere from 800-1000rwhp!

Supercharger are still a great bang for the buck, you can find a nice used system at many places. A Procharger w/intercooler will yield anywhere from 350 to over 450rwhp and more depending on what all you have done. Of course about half of the price of a turbo

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
If ya are looking for a bottom to mid power, go with a twin screw blower. check Kenne Bell or Saleen series IV susperchargers. I dont think you will be disappointed witht he results ya can get with a nice tune.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Why not run both a supercharger and TT's? If you want insane power get compound boost:D

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Lag time

not so much top end more bottom to mid.
Get a Kenne Bell blower. Even a finely tuned tubo rig means you have to get into the higher rpm range on a Mustang to find the sweet spot in the power curve.

The KB will give you instant response and torque down low, all the way to redline.

The Turbo will make you wait until the rpms build and the boost pressure hits.

Smaller engines can rev a LOT quicker than a Mustang V8, so don't expect the pocket rocket behavior of a sub or an evo.

Ultimately, the daily driver behavior for the positive displacement supercharger is hard to beat.

Bragging rights at the dyno or drag strip? Go turbo, if you have the $10large or so it will cost for a twin setup.

Half the money if you plan to actually drive the car on the street every day and want that low-mid power your were talking about.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Why not run both a supercharger and TT's? If you want insane power get compound boost:D
Exactly, You want all out power but the setup nis all complicated especially depending on the s/c and turbos of choice.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Yeah, It would be easier with a terminator with the Eaton already in place and just add TT to the mix and you have insane power. (yes there is more to it than that.)

Exactly, You want all out power but the setup nis all complicated especially depending on the s/c and turbos of choice.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Hybrid

Hybrid turbo/supercharger setups ARE possible, but the complexities are mind-boggling, and the problems with tuning are way out there.

Problems keeping everything fed with cool oil and then cooling down the super-heated boost (which will now be plumbed in and coming from 2 or 3 different sources) will be huge. Since the supercharger is designed to operate at a given level of boost and flow, trying to cram a ton more air into the same space will result in big problems. At best, the supercharger will become a massive and inefficient obstruction, UNLESS you put a huge blower on there (and the OE Cobra's ancient Eaton design is NOT that big, nor can it be MADE that big.

Pick a direction (from what the OP has said, his needs mate up perfectly with a positive displacement supercharger), and stick to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.