Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the planning stages of building a 4.6 to swap into my sixer that will eventually be stroked to a 302. I'm between shelling out for a 4.6 from an explorer (which will run me roughly $1000) or a Teksid 4.6 from a 98 cobra (which will run me about $300). I know the Explorer engine would be a more straight-forward swap since it's essentially the same modular engine as the 05-10 GT, but I've been told the Teksid block is able to handle more power, and with it's lower cost that makes it sound pretty nice. My question is; What would it take to use a Teksid block in an s197? I know the motor mounts would need modification, but I'm not totally sure what else. Would I be able to use 3v heads and intake manifolds? If I can get away with saving $700 on the block, that would be great. Thanks in advance for any help. This is my first engine build and it's going to be a learning experience for me.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
When I built my motor I got a “core” complete from valve covers to oil pan for $725 with 10K miles on it out of a 06’ S197 off of eBay. Using the block for the shortblock and the heads for porting saved me more than the core cost me. And now that I swapped motors I have a complete 4.6 3v that was originally in the car sitting on a stand. I don’t think it gets much better than that. If shopping for cores be sure to get one with the timing chains, phasers, rockers, etc. And the front cover is nice to have also.

I have heard that with a little prep the 3v blocks are good for 2500+hp. I doubt you have any worries about breaking it. I have never heard of a 3v block failure……ever.

And if you go with a S197 core you won’t have any mounting issues, which I have heard can get to be a huge PITA.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Do search on Teksid. I posted some info for someone else on the difference between the 3 generations of aluminum blocks. Any of the blocks will not be a limiting factor in a high HP build.....the crank will, unless you use a $3000 billet stroker crank. The offset ground strokers will break at the number 4&8 rod journal long before the block gives way.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well you could go with the Teksid block but you are going to be spending a couple grand to build u your motor which I would assume you would be doing considering you are buying a block. If I were you I would buy a 4.6 out of a GT or you can go your Explorer Route.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
When I built my motor I got a “core” complete from valve covers to oil pan for $725 with 10K miles on it out of a 06’ S197 off of eBay. Using the block for the shortblock and the heads for porting saved me more than the core cost me. And now that I swapped motors I have a complete 4.6 3v that was originally in the car sitting on a stand. I don’t think it gets much better than that. If shopping for cores be sure to get one with the timing chains, phasers, rockers, etc. And the front cover is nice to have also.

I have heard that with a little prep the 3v blocks are good for 2500+hp. I doubt you have any worries about breaking it. I have never heard of a 3v block failure……ever.

And if you go with a S197 core you won’t have any mounting issues, which I have heard can get to be a huge PITA.

+1 on what sqidd said. unless your making a 2500 hp full race car (which i doubt) that 3v block will handle what you need it to handle. much more than 800 hp isnt streetable anyway IMHO. I would look into a motor from a crashed gt, call some salvages and find a donor car to harvest an engine from. then build it up. then you wont have to worry if it will fit or not. plus, you'll save 60+ pounds by NOT using an iron block. and that 60+pounds from the nose, which will make a difference in et's.:bigthumbsup this is my plan i hope to start in about 8 months!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts