Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and my brother want to start a 4.6 engine rebuild. We both have mustang GTs but want to get an engine and work on it in our garage as our project. We want to build a 99-04 4.6L 2V with a 2.6L Kenne Bell supercharger but would like a couple of opinions. Should we get a full assembled engine off a 99-04 GT or get a bare block. Which would be better? Granted this motor will most likely sit in our garage for awhile so we can slowly buy the parts it needs. We want to get forged pistons and connecting rods but what about the heads? Should we get some new trick flow heads? Or get some stock PI heads and port and polish them? I know that getting a cobra engine would be better and get more power but both my brother and I want to experiment with a 2V and we both think that getting a cobra engine is taking the easier way out. We found this block on ebay and would like to know what you guys think?01 02 03 04 MUSTANG ROMEO 4.6 GT SOHC SHORTBLOCK ENGINE | eBay
We still do not know on which mustang this engine will be placed on I have a 96 and he has as 04 I say my mustang but he wants it in his. That we will determin later in a race at the track :gringreen
Any advice you can give us we would really appreciate. Thanks.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
building the 4.6 is one of the most hashed out topics on this forum, check out the search feature at the top right of the webpage and read some prior discusssions:
I'd get an aluminum 4.6 shortblock from a Cobra, it's stronger and has a forged crank, then add Trick Flow heads

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Before I bought anything, I would sit and price out the cost of buying a block, having the machine work done, buying every new part (except crank if you get a Cobra shortblock), bearings, bolts, etc. and then check out what's available for what prices through reputable 4.6 builders.

Tolerances are very tight in these. You must use a torque plate to even hone these engines, so finding a local machine shop with one, or willing to buy one is difficult. Many will tell you that they don't need one, if they do, run away.

I think you'll be surprised once you add up all the machine work, parts, bearings, bolts, assembly lube, etc. etc. how economical just buying a complete shortblock really is.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
^ +1 i completley agree with bullitt i would check out MMR or some other good engine builders and purchase a short block from them unless your wanting the experience of building a complete motor with your brother i would understand that lol!! Also MHS (modularheadshop) check out there website for worked pi heads :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see what you guys are saying. Where we live there are a limited amount of performance shops and building this engine will be between me and my brother. My brother insist to get a bare block but there are a lot of parts that are needed to complete the block. He says that he is in no rush on the project and that we should take our time on the engine. In a way I agree but I do not want to be ready to put this engine into the car only to find out that we are missing parts and what not. Another this is that with a built engine comes the concern of which transmission will be better for the build. His 04 has a 5 speed transmission and I have a auto and I am in the process of rebuilding my auto with a new shift kit, J-mod, and a 3500 stall. What do you guys think. Also my other brother over her us (he is a chevy guy) but he is surprisingly willing to help so it would be 3 of us working on this engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts