Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all how hard is it to install modular cams. this would be going on a 2002 gt, manual transmission. looking to see if its something i could do in my garage or if it needs to be done by a professional.... maybe someone could just come do it at my house for a price cut compared to what a shop would charge. i know i gotta get new valve springs to compensate for the lift of the lobes and all. but installation and timing is where im stuck at. also what power increase would i get. would long tubes and new t-body bigger maf and injectors be needed or beneficial?
I know that if you time it wrong it can seriously destroy your head and possibly a piston or two. Im also taking some pain killers so i got alot of thoughts all at once lol. But the way you time them i heard wasnt like a push rod motor where you can put it at TDC and there ya go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
change cams

It is not too bad but I speak from myself who has done this at least 100 times already. So it would not be fair of me to assume you couldn’t. I think you will be cussing a storm before you even get the driver-side valve cover off let alone dealing with 16 rocker arms and rock hard lash adjusters etc… I would encourage you to seek out a good shop to do this for you or come down to Austin and let us do it. You can stay in town a night on us… while it is done and drive home?? Your about 200 miles from Austin. Just a thought :shiny:

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
the first time I did cams and springs on a modular 2v it took me 9 hours. its not hard at all just tedious. you will need your normal hand tools and a special valve spring tool for the mod motors that will cost you a 100.00. a lot of people are just intimidated by the mod motors once you open one up there is not much to them. check out Hitech stage 2 cams they rock

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i understand that much. i know the more you think bout them and with the way they are designed they are intimidating but, everyones beating around the bush of how to do the timing. . . not tryin to be a ***** or anything lol just dont want this thread to get off topic i appreciate what input youve put in thus far but i dont want it vere way off like some threads tend to a little bit.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Lift

Which cams are you installing? How much lift are you going for?

PS: Reviewed the link for the instructions, they look good to me. The Comp Cam items work well, imo.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
ok according to Hitech you can install there cams using factory timing method with no performance issues if you choose which is just lining up some marks. after spending much time to degree mine they where all but dead on according to the factory marks.

long tubes compensate cams very nice, you would benifit from them. tb would also benifit as well. you do not need a new maf
there are several write ups to take you through the install.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm a newbie, and can't seem to click on alot of things here. I'm actually amazed I can even post here. I actually gave up on this forum until I googled "CAM INSTALL" and am determined to get to that link!

I'm having trouble clicking on the CAM INSTALL link posted in this thread. Can anyone help me out with this? I use forums all the time and never had tech issues like I have here.

THanks!

·
Registered
377 Posts
ima do cams myself:happyhapp
im getting a used engine from the junkyard and just practice

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.