Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was fine but after I installed a bullitt intake and bullitt alternator and necessary parts needed for the swap. The power was slightly better but it now turns off when come to a complete stop. It usually happens when is cold or a/c is on. I switched to a bullitt aic and no changes.
Some thing different is when the car is cold or been seating for a while the battery meter reads 14 volts and about an hour later it reads 13 volts. could it be alternator that is bad since battery is almost new. :?:

Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Let's take the battery question first. If you are measuring the voltage with the motor off, the numbers are normal. It's called a surface charge.

If measuring with the motor running, it's normal for the alternator to dial down the voltage as the battery recharges. 13 volts is just a tad low but still within the normal range.

Are you battery cables clean, tight and corrosion free?

Suggest that you have the alternator tested for correct output and excessive AC ripple. Most autoparts stores will do it for free.

Regarding the poor idle. The odds favor a vacuum leak between the MAF and the butterfly. However, just to be safe some checks are in order.

What model year car are we talking about?

Is your AC low on Freon? Short cycling?

Check all fuses. Especially F2.2 and F2.8 if this is a 99-04.

Confirm there is +12 volts to the IAC red wire.

What happens when the IAC electrical connector is disconnected while the motor is idling?

Please review the following:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...-dieing-idle-idling-rough-14.html#post2260649

1 - 2 of 2 Posts