Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone or any organization fully tested the limits on this engine. How much boost can it safely take on a continuous basis. I am really getting into the research part of my decision to install a S/C. Thanks

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
According to KenneBell.net the stock pistons are rated at no more than 450 RWHP.I have heard that guesstimate from other sources as well.
As far as actual boost is concerned, I dunno.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Zrullac said:
Has anyone or any organization fully tested the limits on this engine. How much boost can it safely take on a continuous basis. I am really getting into the research part of my decision to install a S/C. Thanks
As is, 6-9lbs. is safe, just make sure you get it installed, by someone, that can properly tune it. If you want to run boost constantly, it's a good idea to have the bottom end done ex. crank, pistons, etc. I have a kenne bell, and I'm quite happy with it!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mbrown3696 said:
As is, 6-9lbs. is safe, just make sure you get it installed, by someone, that can properly tune it. If you want to run boost constantly, it's a good idea to have the bottom end done ex. crank, pistons, etc. I have a kenne bell, and I'm quite happy with it!
I didn't mean to imply that I would run the engine in boost continuously, I just wanted to know what range of boost under normal operating conditions would be safe for that engine. I won't be using it for racing at a drag strip, just highway driving.

I have been looking at the kenne bell s/c, just not convinced that the air intake is in the right place. I live in Florida, which means there is a lot of water on the highways during the summer months, and I am concerned that the intake may take a big gulp of water if I run through a deep puddle on the road.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
The highways in Florida get deep puddles in them, OUCH!!!
That is VERY dangerous!!!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I think I'm going to wait till I have to buy a new engine to put in a SC. Until then I'm gunna throw on the whole intake tune, and pully system. I see all cars that come with factory blowers including cobra's, Cobalt SS's, etc, usually have forged internals. I'm guessing thats for engine longevity so they keep a decent warranty on the vehicle.

Do they built crate engines with forged internals? Or is that a complete custome job(ie mucho $$$)?

·
Registered
487 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
I think I'm going to wait till I have to buy a new engine to put in a SC. Until then I'm gunna throw on the whole intake tune, and pully system. I see all cars that come with factory blowers including cobra's, Cobalt SS's, etc, usually have forged internals. I'm guessing thats for engine longevity so they keep a decent warranty on the vehicle.

Do they built crate engines with forged internals? Or is that a complete custome job(ie mucho $$$)?
They do build complete shortblocks with forged crank, manley rods, forged pistons. The one I am considering is the street mod 900 for $2799 http://www.modularmustangracing.com/

As far as boost, it just depends on the tune, good tune you will have a powerful and reliable combo.....bad tune it will go...
Check this out.....stock bottom end, over 500rwhp, and guy runs 11.30 with a KB at 11psi
http://innovativecustomtuning.com/video/2005_GT_Stang.wmv

So to answer the original question by Zrullac....if your tune is good (dynotune it) I would think 8 psi on the street would be awesome.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Wow. Thats awsome.

Do you think thy will eventually sell whatever motor they through in the cobra?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts