Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 mustang and i am looking to put a new engine in it. Whats the best way to install an up to date engine?? Do i get a donor car and the use everything from there? What about buying everything separate. DO I need all new wire harness and a computer??
or is this not such a good idea. '
I have a 302 in it now and the shock towers are gone too so i know a bigger engine will fit

·
Registered
914 Posts
Personally I would not deal with the hassle of putting a late model engine into a classic car. Plus the modulars are massive and the 66 couldnt really fit anything that big in its engine bay though im not 100% positive if the 4.6 would or wouldnt fit. I remember reading an issue of Mustangs Monthly where some actor had a 66 or 67 with a late model motor in it. You might want to look for that it might have some info in it about how to go about doing it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
you have to do alot of suspension work if you want it to handle well the 4.6 is easier than the 5.4 but it can be done. I just finished a 5.4 in a 68 its the svt shelby engine all brand new not out of a wreck car. IF I had used one out of a wreck I would have been building a used car not what the customer wanted. The next one I do I hope it is either a 64 to 66 or a fastback If you have anymore questions just im me. here are 2 photos of the car. 600 hp 25mpg idles smooth can hear the whistle of the blower, the looks of a real classic 4whl adjustable suspension, and disc brakes all the way around. Nice life RED

Attachments

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I wouldn't use any mod motor working on one is a pain.Pulling the engine to take a head off is dumb and they have problems like blow by the egr system clogs easy and you can't make any big power with out a blower.I hate to say it but i would use a ls2 or ls7 over any mod motor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
since your shock towers are gone

the easy way would be to get a complete donor car with the engine/trans combo you want. it would be relatively easy as long as you had a motor mount solution, meaning bolt right in with off the shelf mounts. i would like a modern motor also but i'm not so sure its worth it. for me the transmission choice is more important, and may help me decide on a engine when the time comes.

good luck on whatever direction you take.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.