Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
American muscle sells this SCT Mustang 4-Bank Eliminator Chip for 88-94 stangs. Is there such thing as over the counter budget tuning? has anyone used one of these after a few bolt on and noticed anything? I get mixed reviews on chips that come with tunes. I know dyno tunes are more expensive but they are more custom for your car. I have a couple of mods on my 92 GT, Trickflow upper & lower intake,bigger throttle body,CAI, and I was wondering which tune, if any would help my car the most? I know the chips are cheaper but should I just go all out and get it tuned on a dyno at one of the local racing shops?

·
Registered
511 Posts
in order to dyno tune our cars you need a chip like the SCT the burn the tune onto. our PCMs arent re-writable like newer vehicle.

·
Registered
214 Posts
A chip directly from them is just going to be an "out of the box" tune. They have baselines from what they have tested with certain mods. To get the most out of a tune you will need to get it on a dyno to scale the maf and fine tune all the little things.

Like stated above to do this you will need that chip to burn the tune, unless you have some type of stand alone, pms, ect..

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have an 88 mustang with lots of mods, stage 1 trick flow cam, spider intake, nos, it was custom dyno tuned, dont have o2 senors or egr valve, and no problems or check engine light, i would go with a custom tune, my mustang does the 1/4 in 11.52 at 118 miles

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
A chip is not going to give you any hp that you can't do yourself unless you have it dyno tuned and burn a custom tune onto the chip.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
American muscle sells this SCT Mustang 4-Bank Eliminator Chip for 88-94 stangs. Is there such thing as over the counter budget tuning? has anyone used one of these after a few bolt on and noticed anything? I get mixed reviews on chips that come with tunes. I know dyno tunes are more expensive but they are more custom for your car. I have a couple of mods on my 92 GT, Trickflow upper & lower intake,bigger throttle body,CAI, and I was wondering which tune, if any would help my car the most? I know the chips are cheaper but should I just go all out and get it tuned on a dyno at one of the local racing shops?
in order to dyno tune our cars you need a chip like the SCT the burn the tune onto. our PCMs arent re-writable like newer vehicle.

In order to even tune the car you will need a chip like the SCT 4-bank eliminator chip. We offer free customs for life and our tunes are not "off the shelf" tunes. We have years of R&D and dyno time in tuning late model mustangs with all major bolt-ons.

For your car, with the modifications you have, you would easily see an additional 20+RWHP on a 93 octane race tune.

Check out the reviews on our chips/tunes here: All reviews for SCT 4-Bank Eliminator Chip w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes (87-93 GT)

Let me know if you have any specific questions about it!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
In order to even tune the car you will need a chip like the SCT 4-bank eliminator chip. We offer free customs for life and our tunes are not "off the shelf" tunes. We have years of R&D and dyno time in tuning late model mustangs with all major bolt-ons.

For your car, with the modifications you have, you would easily see an additional 20+RWHP on a 93 octane race tune.

Check out the reviews on our chips/tunes here: All reviews for SCT 4-Bank Eliminator Chip w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes (87-93 GT)

Let me know if you have any specific questions about it!:bigthumbsup
Yeah but you guys can't send him a tune for a built motor with higher compression or a stroker or a turbo.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Yeah but you guys can't send him a tune for a built motor with higher compression or a stroker or a turbo.

Well, no, but neither is any other email-tune supplier. Not every person strokes or turbos their cars(or are like me, who do both:bigthumbsup) nor do they ever have plans to. Email tunes are GREAT for bolt-ons.

If you are spending the money to build a motor and/or turbo it, you had better saved enough to get it dyno-tuned! Tuning is the most important step in building a car and for bolt-ons, email tunes work extremely well are much more performance for the dollar.

If a dyno-tuner charges $600 to tune a car and you get one tune and it makes 5hp more than our [email protected]$269.99 with free custom tunes for life? Is that MAYBE 5 hp worth $330?

Like I said, you are going to need a chip for them to tune it, anyway. You would be silly to not at least TRY the tunes before going to pay someone to strap it on a dyno and tune for the same mods we can.:smartass:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Chris, if you expect 20+ Hp on a 93 race tune what would you expect for a basic street tune? In my area most places only have 91 octane.

What would the chip give me for my mods on a street tune?

So does the tune primarily update the air fuel ratio or what?

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Chris, if you expect 20+ Hp on a 93 race tune what would you expect for a basic street tune? In my area most places only have 91 octane.

What would the chip give me for my mods on a street tune?

So does the tune primarily update the air fuel ratio or what?

On a 91 street tune, you would likely see 10-15 hp. If you got a race tune instead of the street, you would likely see 12-17hp on 91octane.

If you add the parts in your signature, you can expect to bump those figures by at least another 15-20hp on the above estimates.

·
Registered
526 Posts
With the cost of tuning a bolt on car yourself, and the relatively minimal risk of messing up a bolt on car, why not tune it yourself?

Moates.net has a QH that will do everything a bolt on car will need for $250. A laptop is needed, and a WB O2 would let you tune WOT fuel. The stock O2's work fairly well for drivability adjustments though...

Just an option,
jason

1 - 11 of 11 Posts