Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1968 Mustang coupe with a/c, 289 and auto. Counting all the different leafs I count 5 which seems weird as all the research and catalogue's I've looked at shows it should only have a 4 leaf on the rear unless you have a 390 motor, which I don't.

If I put 5 leaf spring on my car am I going to know much of a difference between the 4 leaf. The leaf springs I have on now show there age and need to be replaced due to body sag on the drivers side.

If anybody has any advice I would appreciate before I purchase new ones.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Order the springs for the car - 1968 Mustang coupe with 289 and auto. That way you get the right ones - unless you have a tow package or HD suspension - then you would have to include that in the description of your vehicle.

Keep in mind that the number of leaves in your springs is only half the story. The thickness of the leaves is actually as important as the number of them.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I wasn't worried about staying stock so I went with the 4 1/2 leaf but I plan to drive the car agressively at times. The 4 1/2 is not stiff or jarring at all as the extra 1/2 leaf faces forward to control wheel hop. If you're going to just DD it I'd probably go with the 4, I've read the 5 can be pretty stiff but have no experience riding in a car with them.
Jon

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
+1 on the 4 1/2 leaf springs.

I went Mid Eye to lower the rear 1 inch to match the 620 springs up front.

It gives a firm ride but will not rattle your teeth. The other thing is you can 4 people in the car and not bottom out when going over a big bump.

Good Luck and BE Safe
Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts