Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
they make them for the 87-93s in the 4 lug and i remember reading somewhere that they will fit in pre 87 cars with slight modification.

heres the 87 to 93 kits for the front
Products - Latemodel Restoration Supply

and here is the drum to disk rear brake kits for the 86s. the largest rotorsize they have for these kits is a 10''
Products - Latemodel Restoration Supply

so if you wanted, you could update the fronts to big brake (11'' rotors) and the rears to disks with 10'' rotors. again, im not sure what modification will be needed to make the fronts work, if any.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it cant be to much maby the spindals it is only one yr dif ill look into it more bc i was wondering that myself if i could just rig it up somehow bc my breaks blow

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
it cant be to much maby the spindals it is only one yr dif ill look into it more bc i was wondering that myself if i could just rig it up somehow bc my breaks blow
it is the spindles, i just couldnt remember what had to be changed to allow them to work. all you need is to upgrade to 87-93 spindles and the bigbrake front kit would work. the back wont need anything, just bolt up and go.

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
how much would they be if ya know
for spindles? i would just email prestigemustang.com and buy some from them. better off just getting a set of used ones to save some money for the actually brake kit. i have no clue on how much they cost but they are usually very fair with their prices. id estimate less than $150 for a used set in good shape. here is a set off ebay that were removed, blasted, and repainted for $110.

1987-93 MUSTANG, FRONT SPINDLES, MUSTANG GT, SPINDLE : eBay Motors (item 170499807703 end time Jul-13-10 21:43:34 PDT)

those are the ones that you need. i would actually recomend just buying the set off ebay in the link. they are in great shape. if you ordered them from prestinge mustang, theres no telling what kind of shape they will be in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got the SSBC 4 bolt rear disc brake kit installed 4 months ago - here's my report:

The kit came with a master cylinder. It turned out this master cylinder was too small for my application presumably since I upgraded the front calipers to Lincoln calipers (Raybestos parts) at the same time. The master cylinder that came with the SSBC rear kit had a 1" cylinder bore - the brake pedal was soft almost to the floor and I couldn't lock up the brakes with full pedal effort. I replaced this master cylinder with one with a 1 1/8" bore and now the pedal and brakes start working as normal and the pedal stops half-way to the floor and I can lock 'em up, but it takes considerable pedal effort, I would say greater than expected pedal effort to stop the car.

Other observations:
The parking brake doesn't work all that well - the first time I used it I was in San Francisco on some major hills and clutching and hand-braking wasn't as easy as before. It will hold the car on a normal incline but wasn't so good on the streets of SF.

I expected the car to stop on a feather after these brake upgrades, but due to the considerable pedal effort required, I'm a bit less than impressed - maybe my expectations were too high, or maybe I need to go with a cobra booster and change back to the stock master cylinder - I'm told this is another way to go.

I have pictures of the kit installed on my car if you want to see them - goto the link in my signature and look at images 11 and 16 - sorry in advance for the popups - it's a free hosting service. Also, note I didn't install the dust shields that came with the SSBC kit - I was told they just get loose and start rattling and don't have much effect anyway.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Was the MC that came with the kit the 1" cobra MC? I have also heard that it is good practice to change to a cobra booster also with the MC swap and to adjust the plunger. I haven't done the upgrade yet as money has all been spent on the stroker and susupension so.

I got the SSBC 4 bolt rear disc brake kit installed 4 months ago - here's my report:

The kit came with a master cylinder. It turned out this master cylinder was too small for my application presumably since I upgraded the front calipers to Lincoln calipers (Raybestos parts) at the same time. The master cylinder that came with the SSBC rear kit had a 1" cylinder bore - the brake pedal was soft almost to the floor and I couldn't lock up the brakes with full pedal effort. I replaced this master cylinder with one with a 1 1/8" bore and now the pedal and brakes start working as normal and the pedal stops half-way to the floor and I can lock 'em up, but it takes considerable pedal effort, I would say greater than expected pedal effort to stop the car.

Other observations:
The parking brake doesn't work all that well - the first time I used it I was in San Francisco on some major hills and clutching and hand-braking wasn't as easy as before. It will hold the car on a normal incline but wasn't so good on the streets of SF.

I expected the car to stop on a feather after these brake upgrades, but due to the considerable pedal effort required, I'm a bit less than impressed - maybe my expectations were too high, or maybe I need to go with a cobra booster and change back to the stock master cylinder - I'm told this is another way to go.

I have pictures of the kit installed on my car if you want to see them - goto the link in my signature and look at images 11 and 16 - sorry in advance for the popups - it's a free hosting service. Also, note I didn't install the dust shields that came with the SSBC kit - I was told they just get loose and start rattling and don't have much effect anyway.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The 4 lug "big brake kit" from late model simply uses a 73mm Lincoln caliper. It is an upgrade, but not by much. As I recall, it's the same caliper you have now, but with a bigger piston. You can use the smaller piston MC that have now to maintain the pressure, but the bigger volume will give you a longer stroke.

If you want a real improvement, go with Wilwood. Contact Gordon at levyracing.com for a complete kit.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im sure that willwood kit would be really pricey i was just looking for better stopping power bc my brakes suck lol but thanks for the info ill look around for the spindals i gues and look for a kit for the 87+

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
im sure that willwood kit would be really pricey i was just looking for better stopping power bc my brakes suck lol but thanks for the info ill look around for the spindals i gues and look for a kit for the 87+
the wilwood, brembo, baer kits cost about $1,250 to $2,000. i wouldnt suggest those kits unless your going to be doing a lot of roadracing or autocross racing or you have a lot of money to blow.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Stainless steel brake line will also make a big difference from the old rubber ones swelling and contracting.

·
Registered
607 Posts
the large 3 piston caliper kit says you need to witch to the 94 + spindle

·
Registered
81 Posts
Was the MC that came with the kit the 1" cobra MC? I have also heard that it is good practice to change to a cobra booster also with the MC swap and to adjust the plunger. I haven't done the upgrade yet as money has all been spent on the stroker and susupension so.
No, the master cylinder that comes with the SSBC 4 lug rear disc brake kit is a traditional metal master cylinder with two reservoirs and a metal lid that clamps on with a swivel bar. It looks like the MC that's on my '69 Merc. It's not the factory style plastic see-through type. You can look at the pictures of the kit on late model restoration and see it.
Zoom the picture on this page:
1987-92 Mustang 4-Lug Rear Disk Brake Conversion Kit by SSBC at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

·
Registered
123 Posts
When i got my 88 5 speed my brake were in horrible shape. At the time i wished i could have afforded to switch to the cobra brakes, and 5 lug but it just wasn't in the budget for new axles/spindles wheel, tires, and brakes.
So i went with the ssbc (4 lug) fronts with slotted /coated rotors, rear disk conversion, came with a new master cylinder, and i got a proportioning valve installed. I was really excited about it, but when i took it out for a spin the brake pedal was soft, and it seemed my brakes were worse. Each time i drove it, the brakes would get slightly firmer and stronger. Over the next 4 months they finally seated all the way, and once they did, they were freakin fantastic!
I have had them for 3 years without a problem, i took them in once to have them cleaned/grease the calipers and ckecked. I'm really happy with the current setup.
I do wonder soemtimes about installing the cobra mc/booster, or going for one of those baer kits. The problem is that i do i have to switch to five lug and go with 17's or bigger, instead of my 16's

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Jimmy was the MC that came with the SSBC kit a new stock one or is it the larger bore one?

·
Registered
81 Posts
So i went with the ssbc (4 lug) fronts with slotted /coated rotors, rear disk conversion, came with a new master cylinder, and i got a proportioning valve installed.
What master cylinder was that? If it is a two-reservoir unit like the one that came with my SSBC rear disc 4 lug kit, then it doesn't need a proportioning valve.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've sudden completely forgotten about the mc. Although mine looks like the one in the picture for the front kit. I really don't think it had dual bowls. The pv was recommended by SSBC, thats doesn't mean it wasn't unneccessary. I do know that i am going to check it out when i get back to the shop to finish my current project. I really don't like the idea of being taken like that... i sure hope its not, and i got that for a a good reason.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.