Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 mustang coupe that is a straight 6. It came from the factory having 4 lugs on the rear wheels. I just upgraded to disk brakes for the front, and it came with a 5 lug pattern.

My question is this, how do I convert the rear to 5 lug? Is there a conversion kit available, or do I have to do it the hard way by swapping out rear ends?

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
You don't have to swap out the entire rear end, just the axles. It's a simple swap, you can get most axles with whatever bolt pattern you need and most 5 lug patterns are a 5 x 4 1/2 inch.

·
Registered
682 Posts
You don't have to swap out the entire rear end, just the axles. It's a simple swap, you can get most axles with whatever bolt pattern you need and most 5 lug patterns are a 5 x 4 1/2 inch.
Not true, no one makes axles for the 7.25" rear. Your only choice is to swap in an 8" or 9" 5 lug rear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm dealing with this right now (swapping out 7.25" for 8" on I6 for same reason). What kind of transmission do you have? If you have an automatic, you might be ok with your stock drive shaft. if you have the 3 speed manual, the universal joints may not work on an 8" or 9" rear. The u-joint at the aft end of the shaft are too small for the yoke on the 8" rear end. Not sure if you can just swap the u-joint. In any case, it is something to investigate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 65 mustang coupe that is a straight 6. It came from the factory having 4 lugs on the rear wheels. I just upgraded to disk brakes for the front, and it came with a 5 lug pattern.

My question is this, how do I convert the rear to 5 lug? Is there a conversion kit available, or do I have to do it the hard way by swapping out rear ends?

Do you have 4 lug rims in good shape that you want to sell?

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
All inline 6 cars are a 7.25 to 69 or 70 easiest way to tell is look on the back side of the axle if the rear cover has bolts on it like most normal rear ends its a 7.25 if its smooth then its a 8 inch or 9 inch.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
All inline 6 cars are a 7.25 to 69 or 70 easiest way to tell is look on the back side of the axle if the rear cover has bolts on it like most normal rear ends its a 7.25 if its smooth then its a 8 inch or 9 inch.
Nope, not quite right.

All 200 ci 6 cyl until 1970 are 7.25" axles.

The 250 ci 6 cyl introduced in 1969 has a 8" axle, 5 lug. As a matter of fact the "L" code 250 has the same drivetrain and suspension as a small block V8.

The 200's last production year was 1970 as the base engine in 1971 became the 250 and all Mustangs had 5 lug suspensions.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Question... I'm looking to convert my straight 6 coupe to a V8 and I was wondering what front disc conversion you used and how you like it. I'm having trouble finding a kit that will be a fairly straight bolt up converting the 4lug to 5. Any info is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Question... I'm looking to convert my straight 6 coupe to a V8 and I was wondering what front disc conversion you used and how you like it. I'm having trouble finding a kit that will be a fairly straight bolt up converting the 4lug to 5. Any info is greatly appreciated!!

First off, sorry about the long lagg in response, I have been having access issues here at home.

As for a disk brake conversion in the front, I just swapped out to a set-up from a V8 that I picked up at the local Mustang graveyard. They had a deal where I picked up the entire assembly from the Spindles out to the caps cheaper than I could pick up the Spindles alone for. With a new Dual-Bowl master cylnder, Brake hoses, and some odds and ends it went on like butter from what I have been told (friend did the install).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tranmission set up

I'm dealing with this right now (swapping out 7.25" for 8" on I6 for same reason). What kind of transmission do you have? If you have an automatic, you might be ok with your stock drive shaft. if you have the 3 speed manual, the universal joints may not work on an 8" or 9" rear. The u-joint at the aft end of the shaft are too small for the yoke on the 8" rear end. Not sure if you can just swap the u-joint. In any case, it is something to investigate.
Automatic Transmission.

I have been poring over my litature and looking through the old time hot rodding journals for insperation, so far not much luck as to a donor rear end that I can slip back there.

I did come across an article about a 8.8 rear end that could be modified to fit under a 67-68 stang, but looking closely at the occompany measurments it is about 2" too long.

my next door neibor (who has been building Hot Rods longer than I have been alive) sugested I take a tape measure to the junkyard and find a donor from a ford that has the same hub to hub measurment as my 65. He tends to think that a Ranger might be a good canidate. Since he still has it for rust repair, I have not managed to do that yet. I will report back when I have some more information about it.

It seems to me that someone SOMEWHERE should produce a cheap and easy conversion for this. Something like a plate that is drilled with the 4 and 5 lugg pattern.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
The 8 inch and 9 inch are stronger then the 8.8 the diff cover is welded on and the 8.8 don't bolt in its a lot of cutting and welding before it does. Heres a link to read Ford rear ends and Ford 9-inch Rear End Data you can use a wider one but have to play with your backspacing to make your rims fit right.That ranger one could fit but the diff is off center it might hit your floor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
4 lug bolt pattern

Ok, I'm new to this. My son has an original 66 stang and he has the straight 6 with the 4 lug pattern wheels. Does anybody know what the bolt pattern is? I think its the 4 x 4.5. I tried to call our local Ford dealership and the parts department gave no help, they told me to go to a tire store. I called the tire store and they said they have a universal wheel that will work, but also couldn't tell me the size either. HELP!!! What I'm looking for a 4 wheels with the 4 lug pattern, I don't really want a universal wheels. he wants to keep it ORIGINAL. Thanks 66stangowner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts