Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking into purchasing a toploader For my 69 mustang. The question I have is which is more ideal? It will be a daily driver and it will be a drag car too. I was planning on putting 3.55s in the rear also. I was comparing the ratios between the two and for highway driving the 4th gear is the same and the third is similar, the only major difference seems to be 1st and second.

What are your opinions on it? Do you think close ratio will be okay for highway driving too?

Also I should mention that my engine makes 415 hp and 370 ft/lbs At the crank.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Personally I wouldn't have anything but a wide ratio.
The close ratio is designed for road racing... lots of curves and rises. The wide ratio is for drag type racing, and everyday driving. Less shifting and more user friendly first gear.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I have a wide ratio top loader in my 65 fb, and I love it, with the lower 1st gear it is like having about a .5 additional diff ratio compared to a close ratio, and my diff is a 3.00:1. My 2 cts. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
All good advice....close ratio for car that spends most of it's time in the upper RPM range such.

Wide ratio on your motor = :happy

·
Registered
582 Posts
Regardless of the use you anticipate for your car, the choice of transmissions should coincide with the rear end ratio and tire sizes you will use. A highway or economy ratio (2.75-3.50) will be more driveable with the wide ratio. Competition ratios above 3.50 can utilize the close ratio setup only if the motor is set up to turn moderately high RPM's.
Best,
Al

·
Registered
60 Posts
Personaly after having a 70 Mach 1 with a 351C 4V that was really a DOG in 1st gear(CLOSE RATIO) under 3k but was and ace of spades after 3k and up. I would grab a wide if you can powershift really well. And if I had to do over again, would have ran a 5spd with a alloy flywheel. Have your cake and eat it too with the OD :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would go with the wide ratio. I have a 347 with a wide ratio 4 speed toploader and 3.55 gears in my '66 coupe. It works great for me and I don't have to turn higher RPM's unless I really want to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts