Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO my painter calls me today and says its going to be $400 to paint,stripe and install the CDC Classic chin that i got for XMas from the Mrs. I sure wasnt thinking it would be that much! Although i KNOW my painter is expensive and does quality work that they stand by for the life of the car but good golly ned fred,sure didnt think it would be an arm and a leg. What have you guys been paying? And i know they have to first paint it,half way install it and then lay out the stripes,paint them,then do the final install but its not like it takes a whole lotta time to do the installation of this thing.............needed to vent a bit I guess. Not going to take it elsewhere so Ill just have to suck it up. Brent

G

·
Wow... that is a tad steep. Buy hey, if they stand by their work and you've already resolved to not take it somewhere else then just bit the bullet. If you've used them for a lot of previous work I'd just ask in a friendly tone if they could shave a bit off that price. If you set it up that you'll most likely be needing to get it touched up in the future and you'll be using them again maybe they'll come down a bit.

Just a thought!

Snaps some pics when you get it installed... that mod is on my list... with everything else.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
751 Posts
That is expensive but can't say I am surprised. My car was scratched on the front right bumper (some people cant drive out of a parking lot as it seems) the scratch is small, no bigger that a quarter in surface area, so I took it to AAMCO and they said to fix that world be over 300. Just the paintjob.

Maybe for your birthday the Mrs. can get you the paintjob for it.:laugh:

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
That seems a little steep, but keep in mind you're basically painting it three times. Once for the red, once for the stripes, then the clearcoat. If it's done right, and they stand behind their work, I say go for it. It'll look great on your car.
I think I paid less than a couple of hundred all together on mine, but it's just black with a clearcoat. They installed it, too.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
and they may stand behind it for life but wait til something happens to it and see what they say. A part like that...down low its goin to catch every thing possible. the only thing covered under warranty is chipping fading and peeling.
being sandblasted from small rocks and scrapes from low driveways arent covered. so its not worth 400 to have it painted with a warranty.
the CDC is a top notch piece. so prepping's not an issue and is very very easy to install. so I cant imagine that much to paint it. Id do it for 200 all day long :) at $40 an hour...3hrs is $120 and $75 for material..$195 and thats reasonable. it wont take no 3 hrs to paint it either. $400 is to much... no doubt Brent.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
and they may stand behind it for life but wait til something happens to it and see what they say. A part like that...down low its goin to catch every thing possible. the only thing covered under warranty is chipping fading and peeling.
being sandblasted from small rocks and scrapes from low driveways arent covered. so its not worth 400 to have it painted with a warranty.
the CDC is a top notch piece. so prepping's not an issue and is very very easy to install. so I cant imagine that much to paint it. Id do it for 200 all day long :) at $40 an hour...3hrs is $120 and $75 for material..$195 and thats reasonable. it wont take no 3 hrs to paint it either. $400 is to much... no doubt Brent.
Speaking of chin spoilers, mine's holding up really well the second time Mick (except for a couple of driveway scrapes :( )

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mick, was waiting for your reply to my post. Since you do that kind of work for a living and all,and the shop charges right at $40 an hour. I will call them in the AM and see what is up with it. I did have a minor chip but im 99% sure that the spoiler will cover it,I was wondering if that included fixing the chip too. The chip i got the day after its 6 month stay in the body shop too, saw the truck coming and actually pulled off the road only to see (in slow motion of course) a few rocks come right off it and i heard it hit.....filled my pants but couldnt get out to look.
I told them to use as much flex additive as was SAFE to use on it and they are going to clear it twice too so was also thinking that might of played a part in it. We'll see what they say in the morning.Thanks,Brent

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
well, if you are concerned with the price, you can have it painted flat black like i would do to mine if i had a chin spoiler among the list of 45 other things i want for this pony :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i called my shop this morning and talked with the guy I have dealt with on numerous occasions and he said that the $400 was what i was estimated at to paint and install my CDC Classic chin spoiler. I told him i thought that it was a very high price for it. He said he was given this price by his estimator and details went like this:

Paint
install for stripe lay out
uninstall
prep for stripe paint
paint stripes
clear coat x2
install

I asked for time estimate on it and he said he had 5 hours on it plus materials.I again thought that was too much and said "well i dont think i should be charged for a lunch hour and a break in that time,still seams to me to be alot of time to paint and install a chin spoiler". He finally said that he would give me a 20% discount on top of it.Im thinking he just gave me HIS 20% profit on it. So now we are at $320 to paint and install.Guess im gonna have to suck it up and live with it cause Im not comfortable taking it anywhere else. Brent

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
sorry Brent...Ive been busy.
Thanks Mark!
320 is still a bit high but Im sure you'll have a nice piece when done! it does take time to install the spoiler and line the stripes up and take it back off to finish masking to appy the clearcoat. its all good :) just wouldnt look right low gloss black....not on your car.

·
Registered
242 Posts
What if you offered to pay in cash ?? Any better deal on that ?? :headscratch::headscratch:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LMAO, I am and have been a CASH only guy since I had a envelope sitting on my computer stand one day. It said 1932 Ford & 2005 Mustang "GOODIE" fund on it. I got kind of excited until I opened it up and found my Citibank card in about a zillion pieces,lol. Doesnt take me long to figure that one out,she had intercepted the CC bill that day she stayed home sick from work.

Guy says itll be done on Tuesday,GEESH thats a LOOOOOOOOONG 5 hours theyre charging me for,lol. Brent

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Guy says itll be done on Tuesday,GEESH thats a LOOOOOOOOONG 5 hours theyre charging me for,lol. Brent[/quote]

lol Brent we hear that all the time bud :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.