Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
It's almost embarassing asking this question because I'm a pretty knowledgeable motor guy, but when someone says they have a 427 side-oiler, does that just mean they have a 427 SOHC?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Acooljt said:
It's almost embarassing asking this question because I'm a pretty knowledgeable motor guy, but when someone says they have a 427 side-oiler, does that just mean they have a 427 SOHC?
Nothing wrong with asking questions!! :winks

The 427 side oiler block was used for all the SOHC motors, but you can have a side oiler that is not a SOHC. The SOHC block has an extra oil passage not found in any of the other blocks. The difference between the side and center, or top oiler, is the extra oil passage the side oiler has to oil the main bearings before any other part of the motor. The top oiler oils the camshaft bearings first and then splits the oil flow to the main bearings and the valvetrain.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, ok, cause I was at a car show last night and a guy had a Cobra replica with 427 emblems, so I asked him if it really had a 427 and he said, "Yeah, it's got a 427 side-oiler." So I wasn't sure if it was a pushrod motor or SOHC.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah, I can tell the difference between the 2 if I see them, but he didn't have his hood popped(the SOHC obviously have much bigger heads). I was just wonderin, if someone starts talkin about a 427 side-oiler, should I naturally assume he means a SOHC?

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hi again.:)If someone tells you that they have a side oiler ,then what they have is the motor in the second picture.If they have a SOHC motor,then when asked they will say with a big grin and no hesitation "It's a SOHC motor."I used to have one of those shoehorned into a 67 coupe and whenever someone asked"Geez!What is that thing?"I would quite proudly proclaim"It's a SOHC motor" :gringreen

·
Registered
173 Posts
well since i'm not knowledgeable about the sohc can someone give me the details about it. constuction, difference from the side oiler ect....

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Ford made a limited production motor that was a 427 SOHC using their 427 side-oiler blocks(just different heads, timing chain cover, timing chain, etc.). The timing chain itself was 6-7 feet long. A very sought after motor to most Ford enthusiasts though some dislike it for it's lack in power(compared to other Ford motors) and lots of weight and bulk.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Stratdeath said:
Does anyone know where you can get SOHC heads or other necessities to build one?
:cool:
Dove Engineering was manufacturing the heads for a while. They weren't cheap. I want to say I remember them being $10k for the heads, gears, cam chains, covers, and cams. You can machine a regular side oiler block to work with these heads. Or for another $6k, you could buy a new block from Dove.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.