Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good evening everyone. this is my first time on this forum...actually it's my first time on any forum. anyways, there seem to be alot of knowlegable people in here with alot of good advice so i thought i'd try to get some opinions.

i have a 1970 mustang coupe with a early 80's 351w (as soon as i get time i'll pull some numbers off the block and narrow down the year). i am looking to rebuild and am shooting for about 450 HP (for now) and was looking for some proven power combo's that'll keep it very streetable. what do all of you have in your rides? i was leaning toward stroking to a 408 but am not sure if that would be necessary...although i do like the sound of saying i have a stroked 351 under the hood.

part 2 to this thread is that i have the factory 4-spd toploader (RUG-AV i believe) and am curious as to what the torque limitations are for this transmission.

thank you all in advance.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
if stroking is in your budget go for it. it would not be hard to get 450 from either one, just a little easier from 408. a good stroker kit + good top end kit= 450 h.p. and i don't think you will have any problem with your toploader. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
If you want it streetable (that means different things to different folks) I would suggest the 408 stroker kit with a mild cam (nearly smooth idle) 9.5:1 compression ratio, aftermarket heads (AFR 185) and a dual plane manifold rated at about 6000 RPM range. Top it all of with a 700 - 800 CFM four barrel carb with vacuum secondaries.
Your Toploader is good to around 600 Ft Lbs of torque so there is no problem.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Should be able to get 450 out of a 351W easily but it wouldnt be real streetable. Stroke it and you should get there with ease if not more depending on your top end combination.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have a 351w and am knocking on 450hp's door.

Speed Pro flat top pistons
Comp Cams Extreme Energy Cam ( can't remember the exact # right now)
Weiand Stealth dual plane intake
Holley 3310 750cfm carb with Adjust a Jet
AFR Street Outlaw heads.
Comp Cams 1.7 ratio stainless steel Rockers
Mallory Unilite electronic ignition
MSD Street Fire Box
Hooker Headers
Stock crank, rods, and oil pump.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Depends on what your budget is but if you've got the money go for the stroker. If not Just make sure you get some good heads like AFR's and at least 10:1 pistons to get you up there in horsepower

Also I have a Toploader in my car and try as I might I have never been able to break that thing :bigthumbsup.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Edelbrock heads on 351c.

:)
Have fun with that Windsor!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts