Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - I need some help, as I'm lost right now. My application is a 5.0 block in a '65 mustang, my question is just concerning the block.

Here's where I'm at. I got a little too curious about a head swap the other night and wanted to ID what all I have. I need to swap out gaskets and hardware anyway so I tore into the top half of my engine. I have ID'd that I have the E7TE heads.

Now here's where I get lost. Since I have the top half torn down and the intake's off, I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to do a roller conversion. Through talking to multiple people about this, I am told that the E7TE heads are roller heads. I have the provisions for the spider in the valley ready and waiting. The guy I talked to at the mustang place was confused why I have E7TE heads, yet it isn't a roller motor. I have flat lifters (and am assuming the corresponding flat cam). So he told me to go ID the block.

The only thing I found to identify the block was the starter area, where again I found E7TE. Google searching this comes up as a roller block?

The guy told me if it wasn't a roller block it's expensive to convert with special lifters needed and whatnot. So I'm confused and need some help identifying what exactly I have and if this is a candidate for conversion, or just put it back together and leave it alone with the flat stuff.

I appreciate any and all help on this one.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you found any numbers on the block beginning with "E7" then you have an 87 block. E is for 80's and the 7 meaning it is an 87 block. If your block is set up for the spider retaining plate and you have the things that look like this >< that go between the lifters then you have nothing to worry about, you can simply run regular roller lifters. As far as E7's being "roller heads" the cylinder heads have no idea what kind of lifters are in your engine and flat tappet or roller wont effect the heads performance in anyway.

·
Registered
897 Posts
E7TE block casting = roller ready block.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome...georgialx, I don't have the dogbones in there. When I said the spider provisions were ready and waiting, I was refering to the fact that the tapped holes were there...so I could just bolt in the spider if I got one.

Joel5.0 - that's what I thought, but the thing that concerns me is why there's flat stuff in there. The guy I talked to on the phone at the mustang place just made it clear that if it's a flat block it's more expensive to convert. My intention was to just pick up a spider, some roller lifters, and a good roller camshaft, but all this flat stuff in there has thrown me.

Any ideas why if it's a roller ready block why there's flat stuff in there?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Awesome...georgialx, I don't have the dogbones in there. When I said the spider provisions were ready and waiting, I was refering to the fact that the tapped holes were there...so I could just bolt in the spider if I got one.

Joel5.0 - that's what I thought, but the thing that concerns me is why there's flat stuff in there. The guy I talked to on the phone at the mustang place just made it clear that if it's a flat block it's more expensive to convert. My intention was to just pick up a spider, some roller lifters, and a good roller camshaft, but all this flat stuff in there has thrown me.

Any ideas why if it's a roller ready block why there's flat stuff in there?
Ford fitted many roller ready blocks with flat tappet lifters and cams...... trucks, vans, Crown Victorias, etc. Again.... regardless of what you have installed now, as long as the block is a roller ready or tall lifter boss block (casting numbers starting with E5, E6, E7, F2), all you need is the spider + dog bones + OEM RH lifters + regular base circle cam + correct pushrods length to install the HR setup.

·
Registered
653 Posts
^^Spot on there

That means grab yourself some junkyard parts...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys...you guys just confirmed what I was thinking, so...looks like I'll be having some fun in the morning. I've got two or three yards that are local to me, and one of them I've never been to (yet).

Thanks again!

·
Registered
653 Posts
while your there see if you can grap an explorer intake and a set of gt40 or gt40p heads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.