Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the process of this build and I want opinions on expected horse power. I am also interested in any ideas and changes you guys think I should do I am new to this thing. Thanks in andvance.

Here's what I've got.

1. 302 block bored to 306.
2. Hardened rods and forged pistons.
3. Gt 40p heads that I had ported and polished.
4. Victor Jr. Intake.
5. Holley 650 cfm carburetor.
6. Single plate Nos 150 shot kit.
7. Msd distributor and ignition.

I plan on running manual rack and pinion, an electric water pump, as well as dual electric fans no ac or heat. I will run a very good fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator probably Holley as well. This motor is going in a fox coupe with a c5 tranny with shift kit. This is my first street/strip build and I am set on this motor so please don't try to talk me into a 351 or coyote. :) I want to make this 302 the envy of all the imports in my town...lol. What do you guys think expected horse power could be. Thanks for you guys help in advance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If the port job is good and you have selected a proper cam, you could probably have a touch over 300 at the wheels without the shot. That would be my guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cam

Forgot to mention e303 cam. Also will it b necessary to run roller rockers, I was planning on it but some people say it want matter and some say it's a must.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
You can use the stock rockers if budget is an issue. I hope you upgraded the valve springs on those GT40's.

GT40 combos will put down 240 to 260 on average to the wheels depending on the combos.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gt 40

The guy I bought the heads from said that the springs had been upgraded what's the best way to tell?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hooking

I also have some shorty headers, how much will wrapping the headers help.. I know that heat is the enemy but how much will it actually help. Also what are some must have for getting this thing to hook using nitrous off the line.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
With the auto trans you'll probably be 250-260 whp na. ~375-400 with the juice.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Stock power levels are measured at the crank. If you noticed I said "to the wheels" and goodole302 said "whp" which stands for wheel horsepower.

Either way numbers are just numbers I would worry about running a good time at the track and get that car together before anything.

To verify which springs you have, you would have to have them measured.

·
Registered
395 Posts
With the auto trans you'll probably be 250-260 whp na. ~375-400 with the juice.
Dead on. Maybe less, depends on how well the heads were ported and who ported them, because believe it or not you can actually make them flow worse if you don't know what you're doing. I would junk that e cam and look into a custom cam or maybe something from comp.. The letter cams as i'm sure you know are pretty outdated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Think I'm gonna stick with this cam and see how it does thanks for all the help though. Still expecting this car to be fast and I'll let everyone know what kinda numbers I put up when it's complete.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts