Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to build a new engine for my cobra. Looking around at prices for various things I noticed a crank for an old 2 piece seal is about $1,000 cheaper than the same crank for a 1 piece seal engine. Would it be worth it to go with an old 2 piece seal and just buy a new flywheel and starter? Or do the 2 piece seals have enough problems that it would be better to dish out the extra grand for the 1 piece seal crank?

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
o.k. first the 2 piece will not fit. and second, why do you need a crank? the stock crank will take more abuse than the stock block.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking on summit for the parts and thats where they had the cranks. And as for using the stock crank, its still moving my daily driver until I get a new engine and take off a weekend to put it in.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well first start off my saying what are you trying to build here. Second the 2 piece seal works on the older blocks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just trying to build a new engine for my daily driver. The engine has been given me more problems than its worth and I don't have a week to pull it apart, clean it out, fix the old worn parts, then put it back together.

Now anything worth doing is worth over doing so it has to be pushed to the limits of my trans and current clutch, so I'm looking to make about 450 horses, maybe a little less. If I would need a new crank, I'm gonna get a stroker. The block I would use would be from a junkyard after a through cleaning and inspection by a friend of mine who used to own over 200 custom built cars, so I know the block would be strong.

I am on a fairly limited budget so I'm not trying to buy $1,500 heads, or $1,000 crank. In all reality I would like to stay near 2, maybe 3 grand.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well honestly you ain't going to be building a stroker for 2 or 3k that will make 450 hp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts