Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vehicle has been in the shop for nearly 3 weeks. The engine began knocking at idle after 2nd oil change at 10k miles. Vehicle is stock - non abused. The service manager thought it may be the lifters - they called ford rep and ended up replacing lifters - no fix... Then ford asked to do the TSB for ac tension ears... No fix. Ford then wanted the head replaced - which is where I am now. When I dropped the car off the dealer wouldn't't provide a loaner so I paid for a rental on my own dime. I was going to take it from them to a different dealer, but they stated the knocking was so bad they would not allow it without voiding warrantee. I got ford corporate involved this wk and they at least put me in a rental. Meanwhile, my 2012 GT is slowly being torn into and worked on in whatever manner of guessing Ford can drum up.

·
Registered
348 Posts
******.... maybe i shouldnt change my oil at all and just leave the original oil in there for 40,000 Miles lol! I would hate for that to happen :( hope all gets sorted out!

·
Registered
453 Posts
The exact reason I have not pushed the dealer to work on my car, I have the random passenger side "lifter tick" sound. Only does it sometimes. I did take it to the dealer, they said they heard it but that it was normal because they" could not pinpoint it with an engine stethoscope". Anyway I have not read 1 single post of someone having this fixed by a dealer. With the exception of the few that had the secret "shoe polish" poured into their crankcase.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Do you know if they've tried replacing the timing chain tensioner? I had a tick on the driver's side that sounded like valve tapping and it ended up being that. There's a TSB for it too (I think). The invoice I got said something about that service being suggested by the hotline.

You may want to ask if that's been ruled out!

F

·
0 Posts
My vehicle has been in the shop for nearly 3 weeks. The engine began knocking at idle after 2nd oil change at 10k miles. Vehicle is stock - non abused. The service manager thought it may be the lifters - they called ford rep and ended up replacing lifters - no fix... Then ford asked to do the TSB for ac tension ears... No fix. Ford then wanted the head replaced - which is where I am now. When I dropped the car off the dealer wouldn't't provide a loaner so I paid for a rental on my own dime. I was going to take it from them to a different dealer, but they stated the knocking was so bad they would not allow it without voiding warrantee. I got ford corporate involved this wk and they at least put me in a rental. Meanwhile, my 2012 GT is slowly being torn into and worked on in whatever manner of guessing Ford can drum up.
Hello Jenzie,

Thank you for the info and glad to learn you have a CSM working with you on this. Please let me know if you need my help and keep me updated.

Deysha

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had the tick after the first oil change. I checked the oil level a few thousand miles later and found the ford tech over filled it. I switched over to mobil 1 synthetic and did the change myself. I'm now glad to report I have no ticking problems.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep - they did the TSB's. I'm sure after they get through replacing the head they will eventually try some magic juice, or Shoe Polish. It's now been 3 weeks - Ford needs to stop guessing - pull the engine and replace. That would provide them the ability to diagnose in a controlled environment. There are way to many documented cases to ignore their fan base. I am a Mechanical Engineer - how Ford can go down this path is completely outside of any reasonable quality/ engineering problem resolution. I've got a friend who is also very nervous about getting his oil changed - that is absolutely unheard of on any manufacturers vehicle. What the heck is going on with these things? How can something that is almost so perfect be plagued with such a nasty disease? I'm reasonable - but 3 weeks is about my limit. I have followed Mustang Forums for years - never really got involved until I had problems - I still love my car and would have a difficult time parting with it. On a 1-10 scale for knock volume from what I have seen others report - I was at a 9. If these dang cars didn't depreciate so much, I'd just replace it every 10-12k miles.:kooky:

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Yep - they did the TSB's. I'm sure after they get through replacing the head they will eventually try some magic juice, or Shoe Polish. It's now been 3 weeks - Ford needs to stop guessing - pull the engine and replace. That would provide them the ability to diagnose in a controlled environment. There are way to many documented cases to ignore their fan base. I am a Mechanical Engineer - how Ford can go down this path is completely outside of any reasonable quality/ engineering problem resolution. I've got a friend who is also very nervous about getting his oil changed - that is absolutely unheard of on any manufacturers vehicle. What the heck is going on with these things? How can something that is almost so perfect be plagued with such a nasty disease? I'm reasonable - but 3 weeks is about my limit. I have followed Mustang Forums for years - never really got involved until I had problems - I still love my car and would have a difficult time parting with it. On a 1-10 scale for knock volume from what I have seen others report - I was at a 9. If these dang cars didn't depreciate so much, I'd just replace it every 10-12k miles.:kooky:
Huh? I'm on my second 5.0. No tick. No knock. Crap happens, some engines are bad. Go to any forum and look. Everybody has problems now and again. For most people the 5.0 is a phenomenal engine. Myself included.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
There not bad because few had problems. Need to remember there mass produced they have tolerances stacking in most cases everything comes out ok. Is the noise meaning engine will blow up and have no power NO. Both of my 04 mach 1's I had made ticking sound on drivers side when warmed up ran perfect.

All cars make some type of noises because of bumps and flexing of parts and as things ages. Best cars that makes no noise are never drove so park it problem solved:D

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I had the dreaded "tick" and was one of the first to report on the 5.0's ticking issue. (About two years ago). I was really lucky as Worthington Ford in Long Beach wanted to get to the bottom of it. They tore down my car engine and did a complete analysis. They ended up replacing the entire lower engine and the ticking was gone. Has not returned in two years.

I would give the tec at Worthington Ford a call. He is one of the best in the business and everyone who has had a tick that has gone there for service has had the problem solved.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Jenzie I would advise against starting/posting all these threads on the same issue. It will look like you have an agenda and damage the credibility of your reports.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had the dreaded "tick" and was one of the first to report on the 5.0's ticking issue. (About two years ago). I was really lucky as Worthington Ford in Long Beach wanted to get to the bottom of it. They tore down my car engine and did a complete analysis. They ended up replacing the entire lower engine and the ticking was gone. Has not returned in two years.

I would give the tec at Worthington Ford a call. He is one of the best in the business and everyone who has had a tick that has gone there for service has had the problem solved.
For the few that have this problem this is what should be done. Instead of messing around for two three weeks trying to put a band aid on it., and blaming a tune, exhaust, ect. on a defective engine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jenzie I would advise against starting/posting all these threads on the same issue. It will look like you have an agenda and damage the credibility of your reports.
Whatever Seventh- I'm not sure what your agenda is... Wow, apparently some come on these forums to post issues, see how an issue has been resolved, see how to make their car quicker, to help other forum members, and of course, there are always people like you. I'm not sure what value you add - even a little sarcasm would go a long way.

Anyways, Ford replaced Lifters, did various TSB's, And replaced the heads to no avail - Ford has now approved a new Engine. From what I could tell, the knock my engine developed was not the typical tick - or so I learned from other valuable input from other Forum members - thanks guys. It appears the cause will remain unknown - which is fine. My car has now spent 1/8th of it's life in the shop - but I'm looking forward to the next engine break-in. Car should be complete by end of week 5.:yelpleased:

The video below was my vehicle when dropped off. Crap happens - I'm glad it is finally coming to an end.
2012 Mustang 5.0 Knocking - YouTube

·
Registered
118 Posts
Whatever Seventh- I'm not sure what your agenda is... Wow, apparently some come on these forums to post issues, see how an issue has been resolved, see how to make their car quicker, to help other forum members, and of course, there are always people like you. I'm not sure what value you add - even a little sarcasm would go a long way.

Anyways, Ford replaced Lifters, did various TSB's, And replaced the heads to no avail - Ford has now approved a new Engine. From what I could tell, the knock my engine developed was not the typical tick - or so I learned from other valuable input from other Forum members - thanks guys. It appears the cause will remain unknown - which is fine. My car has now spent 1/8th of it's life in the shop - but I'm looking forward to the next engine break-in. Car should be complete by end of week 5.:yelpleased:

The video below was my vehicle when dropped off. Crap happens - I'm glad it is finally coming to an end.
2012 Mustang 5.0 Knocking - YouTube
I'm glad your finally getting a new engine, I'm sure the new one will be trouble free. You can get a defect in any brand car, however its how the manufacturer reticfies the problem, I don't think it should have taken this long, just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
OP that's pretty bad. Did the car run ok?

·
Registered
115 Posts
you can isolate individual pistons by unplugging the injectors one at a time with the engine running. This is how I found that my NO 2 piston was bad on my 03 Cobra.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Holy cow! I had no idea the tick was that pronounced. My car had a faint tick when I purchased it, but nothing like that. Good luck and best wishes it gets fixed. That was ugly!

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 2012 mustang 5.0 has the exact same engine "ticking" sound and it is driving me crazy. i am going to take it to ford and see what they can do for me.
thanks to everyone that posted here, this really helped me out alot.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
my 2012 mustang 5.0 has the exact same engine "ticking" sound and it is driving me crazy. i am going to take it to ford and see what they can do for me.
thanks to everyone that posted here, this really helped me out alot.
I'd bet 99.9% ur car is fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 25 Posts