Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first mustang, it is a 1986 gt. Body wise it's a P.O.S especially after I avoided a deer and hit the warning of deer X-ing sign… ironic (working on the thinking of buying an 86 lx shell and moving things over). However, the guy I bought it from managed to put a 1993 cobra motor in it (rebuilt, .60 over, ported heads, mild cam, runs like new). He didn't want to change it from speed density so he put the 19lb injectors back into it. When I bought it from him the harmonic balancer went out, when this happen I took time to change in over to mass air (73mm from C&L) while replacing the balancer (one thing I can say about the change is I can hear the cam a lot better). The car ran fine for about 2 weeks the it wouldn’t want to start, then when it did it wouldn’t want to idle and didn’t want to go over 3,000rpm. So I cleaned every thing in the intake and now it idles at 2,000rpm. Played with the idle screw didn’t do anything, unplugged the idle air controller and it ran normal for about 5 min then jumps back up to 2,000rpm, and still doesn’t want to start.
HELP, I’M STARTING TO HATE EFI!!!

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
B-Woo, go back and check your connections on the Mass Air conversion first. Then Pull codes from the ECM. Check for vac leaks also.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
That sounds like a vacuum leak. If it ran fine before you switched to mass air, I'd check everything you touched when making the swap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you, once again i'm a noob how do i find the vac leak. the mass air was done a bit ago and it ran fine when when i had a stock MAF. i just changed to the C&L and i ran just fine for about two then this stuff started.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.