Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This mechanic told me yesterday that the ford explorer intake is almost the same as the cobra.It just doesn't say cobra 5.0 on it.The explorer intake ports are much bigger to allow more air flow.The big factor is how much money you save going this route.Is this really true?And how would a trick flow air intake stand up against these,for HP!!More power the more fun!!!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
its a gt40 intake like the cobra, it just doesnt say cobra. i think they are cheaper due to the fact it doesnt say cobra on it.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
They are pretty much the same exact thing, there are plenty of write ups about it too. The tubular GT40 flows better than both of them but a ported GT40 can flow as well as most intakes out there. The trick flow is a good intake hp wise but personally I feel like the torque is much greater with the GT40. I use a GT40 on my stroker(for now anyways) just because dyno numbers show the torque is there. I will eventually get a performer 2 intake but for now the GT40 does its job. Too bad the rest of the car doesnt do what its supposed to!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
its a gt intake like the cobra, it just doesnt say cobra. i think they are cheaper due to the fact it doesnt say cobra on it.
GT40 and Cobra uppers look completely different...... where the lowers are the same.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trick flows!!

Nobody really answered my question as to how it stands up to trick flow vs. cobra intakes??? I see alot of nice hopped up stangs with them?

·
Registered
864 Posts
just pulled my set of GT40 intake upper and lower off a 97 5.0 and from what i have heard they do all right vs trick flow this is if you have the work done to them

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
most cases,especially on a stock motor like yours that doesnt make power past 5k rpms,the longer runner length of the explorer/gt40/cobra intakes will do a little better than the TF

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
First off which trick flow intake as TF makes several different intakes?

A GT40 will be in the league with TF street burner intake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts