Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've been having an issue with my motor here

I have a pretty decent wobble from the harmonic balancer. I replaced the balancer with a new unit from NAPA. It came with the crank key so i replaced that as well. Reused the crank pulley and the main bolt in the front but i still have a good wobble going on.

The previous owner of the car said the block had about 80k on it has no idea how the crank could possibly be damaged in the front. I feel like it would be very VERY difficult to bend that thing but there isn't a whole lot that is connected to the crank there

I really don't want to Do a new block/rebuild. Anything else that could be wrong or how to verify that the crank is no good??

Thanks all I'd really like to drive this thing

Car is
87 Rx7
91 302
Carb'd
T5 trans
Various mods

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
are you sure its not just the pulley.. take the belt and pulley off and crank it up for a minute. i really doubt the crank is bent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give that a try but it wouldn't make the whole thing wobble would it? The balancer itself is wobbling as well

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Was it running before or did you just get this motor?

The crank will not usually just start to wobble. Usually the stock type balancer will get damaged and is not rated for high rpm usage and the rubber will come unglued from the pulley.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The motor was running yea but it had an old harmonic balancer on there so I replaced that pretty much right away.

there is a new balancer on there now, has basically 0 miles on it. The car has hardly been revved up at all so I can't see why the balancer itself would be damaged.

how could the snout get damaged though? thats a pretty beefy piece of metal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts