Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I just got a 5.0 with the HO fuel injection cover on it...but there seems to be some conflicting info on what it came out of...the person that sold it to me said it was an '87 Mustang...but the vin number in the block at the back on top says LF137865, which means a 1990? the block above the starter says 35 E7TE CA 8....and the heads are E5TE 9439 DIA.
Any help would be appreciated....thanks

·
Registered
307 Posts
whats the firing order? if it has the same firing order as a 351...its a H.O. ...if its not its just a regular 302...and what is your question really...sorta hard to decifier out of your post

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
The engine was originally in a '90 Mustang GT convertible/Cobra GT convertible. (The complete VIN is 1FACP45E3LF137865.) The heads were originally from an '85 through early '87 truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
firing order is 13726549, so it's a HO...I guess my question is more what year is it? by the posts and websites I've been reading, it's supposed to be a '90, but the seller said it was an '87 out of a Mustang...I'm trying to figure out if it's a motor built from different parts, or an original engine out of what?
thanks for the help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Foxchassis, it's starting to make sense....what's your suggestion regarding the heads? should I keep them and have them rebuilt? or get something different?

G

·
thanks Foxchassis, it's starting to make sense....what's your suggestion regarding the heads? should I keep them and have them rebuilt? or get something different?

Go for a good set of aftermarket heads......

Stock ford heads are junk......

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
firing order is 13726549, so it's a HO...I guess my question is more what year is it? by the posts and websites I've been reading, it's supposed to be a '90, but the seller said it was an '87 out of a Mustang...I'm trying to figure out if it's a motor built from different parts, or an original engine out of what?
thanks for the help
Two guesses as to why seller said it was an '87 engine...

1. The seller took it out of an '87 mustang and thought it was the original engine, which it wasn't. The partial VIN you posted is proof enough that the engine was actually from a '90 Mustang GT or Cobra GT.

2. The seller is assuming the "E7TE" engineering number is the year of the block -- this is a common misconception -- which it isn't. Engineering numbers indicate what the part was originally engineered for, not necessarily what the part was actually used in. The partial VIN you posted shows that even though the block has a 1987 engineeering number (E7 = 1987), the block was actually used in a 1990 model year vehicle. The date code from the block (you didn't post it) would also be from late '89 or early '90.

Whether it be either of those two scenarios or something else, the seller seems to be misinformed as to the originality of the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.