Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all. I'll try and keep this as short as possible. I'm building a 5.0 for my 66 Stang. Windsor Sr heads, Ford E-303 cam, Ford 1:16 roller rockers.
The issue is with the effective length of the studs that came with the Windsor heads. The test head was torqued to specs using the specified .040 gasket. I used an Adjustable pushrod to find the correct length.. Problem..when you extend the pushrod to the length required to get the roller centered on the valve stem, there are very few threds left for the adjuster nut and lock to grab on to. At least in my opinion. If I back it off a bit the bottom of the valve is very close to hitting the retainer cap on the valve spring and the roller tip is off center on the valve stem.

Has anyone had this issue before? I'm sure I'm not the only person running a Ford e-303 with Windsor heads.

Thanks
Chip A:worship

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Common issue. Do you know what the effective length you have now is? ARP sells studs in various effective lengths, as does Comp Cams. Im had the same issue. Your average Small Block Ford head will use a 1.900 Effective length stud. If that is what you have, then you will probably need either the 2.000 EL stud, or the 2.100 EL stud.

As a general rule of thumb. If you have a 7/16 stud, you need around 7/16 worth of stud engagement on the polyloc. Another solution is to used head stud washers under the rocker stud hex. The flat ones, not the stepped washers. This will add a few threads to the engagement. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey 89 coupe. Thanks for the reply. I've looked about everywhere I could think...Milodon, Lunati,Proform, ARP, Ford racing, etc,etc. The problem is the top part is 3/8-24 and is what is called for to use on the Ford roller rockers. The effective length of the studs that came with the head is 1.810. 7/16 bottom and 3/8-24 top. LOA 2.490. No idea who manufactured them but they did come with hardened guide plates, so that lifts the stud a little b ut not enough for my comfort.

ARP 1347104 studs are the right thread lengths but only bring me out to an effective length of 1.900.. Basically, I get a couple more threads. For $49.95 I guess it would be worth picking up a set of 16. I really hate the idea of backing off on the pushrod length to compensate for the lask of threads. It defeats the geometery that I'm supposed to look for...LOL

Any other ideas or should I just get the longer ARP studs and catch a couple more threads?????

Thanks
Chip A

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
You could use the 134-7104's, then do as I mentioned by putting head stud washers, or some other 7/16 washer under the rocker stud. That is done pretty often than one would think.

Unless you call ARP and see if they have a stud for your application in a longer Effective Length. There catalog has been the same for a while. Maybe they have some new parts that are just not listed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:kooky:They both sound like a plan 89.

I'll call ARP tomorrow and if they have nothing else, I'll go with the 134-7104's and the washer as you suggested

Thanks
Chip A:wavey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.