Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask for any and all help concerning the issues that I am about to request aid with. I am 18 years old and 2 years ago I came across a 1972 mustang convertible with a 302 2bbl motor that had clearly been worked on before the owner disappeared and left the car sitting in the backlot of a car lot. Long story short I got the sucker for 500 and it ran for full year before the transmission went to the shitter this past February. The transmission is a C4 3 speed automatic...blah. Anyways recently I have gotten a 1988 Lincoln Mark 7 with a 5.0 HO and 4 speed AOD. For under 1000 I am going to swap the motor and tranny from the Lincoln into the Mustang. That way I can put the 302 up and make it nasty. And I can finally take the sucker on the highway and not have to wear a gas mask while smoke comes pouring out of the compartment as I hit 65.

Some key notes about the project are.
  • no EFI...i like to tinker and ive opted to go with a new 4bbl carb and manifold (suggestions?)
  • I already own 2 4bbl holley carbs
  • The holley carb in best shape needs a choke and few other parts but nothing serious (help on rebuild kits etc?)
  • Already own the crossmember adapter for the AOD
I am about to pull the engine, once i resolve the problem with the engine hoist that we rented. I am aware that I need a TV cable for the AOD. Is there anything that I am missing? Does it sound impossible?! Also I read on the mustangandfords.com website that the rear disc brakes on the Lincoln marks are bolt ons for late model mustangs with 8" or 9" rear ends. How to I check which rear end I have, because I will defiantley do that before I scrap the Lincoln. Sorry for the writing but this is a serious project and I need help from anywhere, so much work has been done on this car already but this is super super work. One last thing
I AM ON A BUDGET

thanks all, Adric

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
The 5.0 ho is a bolt in swap and should work well . The carbureted intake will bolt right on and will work fine . There are a few problems though .

1 . The ho motor uses a roller cam so the stock distributor from the 72 wont work . the cam gear is made of billet and will chew up the stock distributor . You can try calling summit racing to get a steel gear or you can go with an aftermarket distributor that has the steel gear .

2. The ho motor has a different firing order because of the camshaft , so dont put the plug wires on it in the stock order . I cant remember the firing order off the top of my head , but it IS different . Just do a search . No biggie .

3 . The ho motor has no place for the mechanical fuel pump to bolt onto . You can either get an aftermarket electric fuel pump or put the 72 timing cover onto the ho and use the mechanical pump . If you go with the mechanical pump you will also have to get the fuel pump cam eccentric that bolts onto the end of the camshaft to drive the fuel pump .

4. summit racing has what you need for the carburetor . I would reccommend the quick fuel master carb kit for the carb rebuild as it is very complete and has all the bolts and everything you will need .

That's all I can think of right now . Good luck and let us know how it goes ;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi! You will probably want to swap the oil pans out. Use the 72's pan. Performer RPM intake is a good one. You should find a good set of headers too, it will give you a good exhaust sound.

:drink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha alright its been a crazy couple of weeks. nothing much has been accomplished but slowly and surely the light at the end of the tunnel is approaching.

Im a true gear head but this is most defiantley a project thats startin to weigh on me, especially with the absence of cash flow to get things done.

Anyways, time for an update. I proceded to take all that I could from the Lincoln...the engines out (and dropped in the stang just before hurricane katrina hit) and i took a few other odds and ends out before it finally got hauled away today. I got the transmission crossmember bolted in and the whole set up is sittin inside the car! YES! but nothings every that easy lmao. It looks as though I am going to have to replace the motor mounts, because although one side of the engine is bolted in...the other ones holes just wont line up..not a biggie but a hassle, i want to fire this sucker up damnit! After I resolve that problem I will tackle the issue of the distributor, most likely I am going to get a new dizzy for the sucker. I am also going to get an electronic fuel pump and stick that somewhere on the line. Now the only thing that I think will be the biggest pain is getting all the hookups for the tranny and the throttle cable and such linked and running smooth. All work im looking forward to completing though.

But yes sir, im going to spend the money to get a whole new exhaust system put in, long tube headers and all. That will be the first thing I buy with my paycheck..that and a steak dinner for my mother..(she thinks the car is worthless). Wish me luck, I havent drivin the girl for almost 8 months now, its killin me, but im committed. Ill have updates soon, till then, thanks for all the help

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and about the oil pan issue...when we first tried to drop the engine in we didnt think that the oil pan would be a problem..uh oh there. The oil pan on the HO just wouldnt allow clearance over the frame. That proved to be very frustrating. We had to yank the engine out and swap the pan out with the 72' and then put it back in. But once we did all that it sat in there perfectly and like I said not a moment too soon as within 5 minutes the hurricane started bitchin. Its been wild, I should have taken pictures. I will post pictures of when I first got the car though, you wont believe how we painted the car.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Did you change the pickup to match the pan when you switched pans? It'd be bad if you forgot to and the oilpump sucked up nothing but air. Also, Fordgazm's #3 is incorrect. The dimple is there for the front mounted dipstick tube, and the mount is there for the mech fuel pump, it's just not cut out. You can pick up a steel dizzy gear at autozone (ask for one for an 85GT 5speed), or get a Duraspark box and an 85GT dizzy, and go electronic.

PS: Did you steal the rear brakes off the Mk7? You need the dust shields, the caliper bracket & calipers and the ends of the ebrake cables, rotors, 2 short flex lines that are on brackets, and big flex line form the rear to the car. I'm getting ready to do this swap meself. It takes a special set of adapters from Ultrastang BTW.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
so if it's not cut out then how could you use it ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did change the oil pickup when I changed the pan so no problem there. I skipped on taking the rear brakes even though they can be used for my rear. There are a couple marks in the junkyard near me so when its time for that project I can go pick the parts up.

Now if there is a chance I can use the mechanical pump, which one should I use? Electric or mech?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'd use a mech. pump. I like simple and easy. JMO

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so after a slew of hurricanes I can finally begin to undertake what I had hoped to begin months ago.

I am planning on purchasing the items that will allow me to get the car running. The carb and intake are already taken care of. I decided to scratch the 5.0 HO engine because of damage it sustained during hurricane wilma when she blew my hood off (i need a new hood lmao). So....im going to buy a ga damned engine lift and yank the HO out, leave the AOD in and then transplant the original 302 back into the car. For the 302 i should be recieving a new 4v carb and intake, and distributor. Whats left to allow the car to fire up is zip nada nilch...that is once i get the engine hooked into the car and into the tranny.

Ive still got to find a throttle valve cable for the AOD to the carb. And I am in dire need of new motor mounts. Lastly I need to do the public a favor and install a new exhaust system. For the exhaust I am looking to install a standard set up (except for an H pipe and free flowing mufflers) connected from the stock exhaust manifolds. Frankly I need to win the lotto, find a rich girl, or start selling my toenail clippings....in bulk.

So basically an update, hopefully one of these days there will be a link to pictures of all the shananigans ive been trying to pull off. Im in it for the longhaul, no matter how many times I get scoffed at for my reckless attachment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.