Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I've got a few things I need help clarifying (to be honest I'm just a little lost from everything I've researched). So here goes (please be nice):

Basically, I've got a '65 mustang that I swapped a 5.0 into. I got it (the motor) from a guy that builds motors and race cars and one of his clients scrapped a project so the car was parted out. It was too long ago for me to just go back and ask him this stuff, so I'm trying to figure this out on my own.

From what I recollect it was an EFI motor that he converted to carb. It's dropped in the '65 and ready to run. I've completely gone through the top end of the motor, disassembled it, painted the block, replaced all the seals, and swapped some things to make it work in the '65.

Here's what I'm after - I'm trying to clarify roller motor stuff. I didn't take out the cam because I'm not swapping it out right now (get car running/finished, then start the upgrades). From what I've seen, it has flat tappets and the provisions for the spider bolt holes in the valley, but no spider. If I wanted to go the roller route, how do I figure out if I have a roller motor, and/or what I'm missing? I'm a little confused from the research what makes a complete roller motor. I thought it was a roller cam, roller lifters, roller tappets and the spider in the valley, but the info varies based on year, and some 5.0's have a combo of flat stuff with roller stuff that I've read.

So, could someone help me with a little direction as to what I should look for in the engine and what I might need if I chose to go this route? I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks!

-1965stang

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
If it was a roller cam, there doesn't have to be the retaining spider and dogbones to maintain the lifters if the engine builder used tie bar roller lifters. This bar would be obvious, and would connect pairs (intake and exhaust) lifters together. If there's no tie bars between pairs of lifters, then I would say it's a flat tappet cam the builder used.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point, I completely forgot about the lifters being tied together, and I flat out don't remember if they are or not because it's been so long since I swapped out the valve covers and had that stuff open. I'll go take the valve cover off later and see what's in there.

Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so I took the valve cover off and I believe the said mentioned bar is there - there is a bar connecting two lifters each, making four sets tied together. I took a picture for clarification. Thoughts on this being a possible clue to a roller cam as was mentioned?

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Good point, I completely forgot about the lifters being tied together, and I flat out don't remember if they are or not because it's been so long since I swapped out the valve covers and had that stuff open. I'll go take the valve cover off later and see what's in there.

Thanks for the post!

I don't think you will be able to see the lifters buy just taking off a vavlve cover, you would need to take off the intake to see them :gringreen

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok for clarification, and again I'm just looking for help, and I may not be the best at all the terminology - am I looking for a bar like the one I took a picture of that is tying the pairs together in the valve cover area, or am I looking for something different in the valley?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ok for clarification, and again I'm just looking for help, and I may not be the best at all the terminology - am I looking for a bar like the one I took a picture of that is tying the pairs together in the valve cover area, or am I looking for something different in the valley?
to see what style lifters you will have to pull the lower intake,the lifters will be where the bottom of the pushrods go.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys thanks for the tips. As I said, I'm horrible at the terminology but I know what I'm looking at (just may not know what to call it).

Anyway, knowing that I'm supposed to be looking in the valley, I know I don't have any of that tie stuff. My real reason for asking this stuff was because I was going to get a distributor for the motor finally and I needed to figure out the cam so I knew what gear to have on the distributor so I wouldn't destroy it. I asked the guy I bought it from these same questions and we figured it out - no tie bars and flat tappets in the valley = flat cam.

So, thanks again for the tips. Now it's just a matter of whether it's worth converting to roller (cost vs. performance gains).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.