Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was driving on the freeway doing the speed limit and all the sudden i heard a backfire and my engine died. ever sence then my car wont start and i cant figure out what the problem is. im getting spark, its cranking normal. it just wont fire up. i think i lost compression but it was just really random.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
It's getting spark, but what about fuel?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
could it be the timing chain?

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
so i was driving on the freeway doing the speed limit and all the sudden i heard a backfire and my engine died. ever sence then my car wont start and i cant figure out what the problem is. im getting spark, its cranking normal. it just wont fire up. i think i lost compression but it was just really random.
The only way to find out is to check the fuel pressure and to do a compression test on all cylinders. You need air, fuel, compression, spark, and timing for the engine to fire and it sounds like at least one of those components is missing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha so i figured it out and fixed it. the rotor in my distributer was in 3 pieces and the spark i was getting was random. i got a new distributer, cap and rotor. one more thing i found out was that my timing was retarded 4.7 degrees. now its advanced 1 degree and i can finally drive my 5.0 again. :bigthumbsup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.