Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1980 Ford Mustang
Swapped 4 cylinder for 302 from 1971 Ford pickup
Crane "Blazer" cam (mild), GT intake and ported heads
Holley 600 carb

Hi everyone;

I have few mechanical skills and even less knowledge, so please walk me through this. My Mustang stalls and dies under braking (car and engine details above). It seemed to be starving for fuel. The problem was severe. The symptoms occurred ONLY after the engine warmed up, and only under braking. It eventually got so bad that when the motor was really warm, it would sometimes die even when I lifted quickly off the throttle without touching the brakes at all. It was undrivable.

I did a little online research and found that some people have solved similar issues by adjusting the float levels in their carburetor. So I found an online video on carburetor adjustment and checked the float levels. The rear bowl seemed to be at the proper level. A bit of fuel spilled out of the viewing hole when I rocked the car from side to side. So I left the rear bowl alone (things usually run better when I don't touch them). But the front bowl was definitely low, so I raised the fuel level until gas slopped out while rocking the car.

This seemed to solve about 50-60% of the problem. It stills occurs, but with less severity and frequency. This also allowed me to lower the idle as well, making the car a bit more drivable.

What do I do to solve the rest of the issue? Remember, I am not a mechanic so please explain things simply and thoroughly. Many thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Problem solved.

Found info on another forum that suggested I check the float levels in both front and rear bowls of the carburetor. Front was low so I raised it and it helped. The issue was not totally solved, but it was much better when I took the car for a test drive.

The rear was at the correct level, but I found information indicating that the "correct" level according to Holley's official instructions was actually too high... so I lowered the float level in the rear bowl as well and PRESTO... problem solved. Hope that helps someone else.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts