Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I'm new to this forum, and have been reading alot of information. Just absorbing, figure its good to learn before I drop my hard earned money on a Stang. I plan on buying a 5.0, not sure on the year, but 88 and up.
Which brings me to my first question. With all the production years of the 5litre, are there any better years? Also in general what are some known problems with 5.0's to look out for when out buying one? Any areas where rust develops, or perhaps problem areas? Anything to look for when test driving one? If you guys could share some info on buying one, it would be great.

Thanks!

:wavey

·
Registered
6 Posts
well its a 5.0 you will always have problems of some sort lol. my 91 has 130,000 miles on it. still has all of its stock internals. the only new parts on it are the water pmp, alt, and starter. those were my only problems to date. other than that the 5.0 is a great motor and hard to kill. lol i drove for 3 months on a bad starter. as far as personal pref i like the 90-93 models better because of the interior. the 88-89 have ugly steering wheels and ugly headrest lol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stang5.0 said:
well its a 5.0 you will always have problems of some sort lol. my 91 has 130,000 miles on it. still has all of its stock internals. the only new parts on it are the water pmp, alt, and starter. those were my only problems to date. other than that the 5.0 is a great motor and hard to kill. lol i drove for 3 months on a bad starter. as far as personal pref i like the 90-93 models better because of the interior. the 88-89 have ugly steering wheels and ugly headrest lol.
Great, thanks. I was going to ask about the engine as well, and how long it lasts, 130, 000 with only water pump, alt,and starter is pretty damn good.

·
Registered
514 Posts
personaly i like the 94-95 years the best...you get the newer style and they still have the 5.0 in them!! when looking at any uised car just give it a real good look over, if the underneath is covered with oil or the engine bay is a mess you can be pretty sure its bin beat and wasnt taken real good care of

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wayne94mustang said:
personaly i like the 94-95 years the best...you get the newer style and they still have the 5.0 in them!! when looking at any uised car just give it a real good look over, if the underneath is covered with oil or the engine bay is a mess you can be pretty sure its bin beat and wasnt taken real good care of
I would love to get a 94 or 5, but money is an issue. I'm paying for the car myself, as well as the insurance. Nowdays with high gas prices, and crazy insurance I dont think I'll be able to afford it. But who knows, maybe I'll get lucky.
Edit: I guess I should mention I'm a student with a part time job.

·
Registered
514 Posts
oh...about miles dont be to worried about that mine has 160,000 and the only things i had to replace was the water pump and starter too....haha

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
its all a matter of maintenance. if the previous owner beat the crap outta the car and never cared for it, then mileage COULD be an issue. my 88 LX was very well cared for, has 128,000 on it, and runs amazing. probably most of the problems you will run into will be stupid annoying electrical problems (at least with 87-93). try and get at least an 89, or an 88 CA car. that way you wont have to go through the MAF conversion down the road.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i picked up my mustang in july/august and it had 220,000km's on it
only new part that i got from the previous owner was the water pump...

i did a compression test on it and all but two piston were averaging out 153psi
the highest one was 155
the lowest was 152
so i baught a supercharger and installed it, runs awsome cept clutch was original and just toasted the **** out of it:kooky:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Mine never broke when it was stock . . . . now its a different story . . .lol

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Look for rust on the bottom of the hatch, by the latch. Loorpans like to crack under the outside rear of the driver seat. If it's an '87 - '93 GT, inspect for rust under the ground effects. Don't let it scare you.

G

·
I have a 95 and the odometer stopped working at 115,000 but other than that there's been no major parts replaced. One thing I found when I was shopping was someone who swapped to higher gears and then pulled them out before they sold them, which left the speedometer way off. If I were you I'd find a virgin car.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
When test driving one, make sure it tracks straight, as you get on and off the throttle. If it wanders when you do this, you're probably looking at rear axle and control arm bushings. Post any anomolies you find.

G

·
That reminds me, you can check to see if the Traction Lok is still good if you can get away with a burnout during your test drive.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that all the Ford Enthusiasts on this forum will say a different thing. Everyone will have a valid opinion because everyone will like a different thing.

Now, I'll add my two cents to the money jar.

If you're looking to by a fox, go with an 89-and-up year. I'm almost certain (unless someone corrects me) that the 89 year was when the Mustang went into her Mass Air Flow (MAF) State. (Be advised that 88-year California built models also had MAF) You can go with an 88-speed density models, but I've gathered that the upgrades just cannot take her to the point of an equally modded mass air flow model. Keep that in mind when you purchase your Fox.

If you are looking to buy one of the 94-or later models, keep THIS in mind. The internals on a 94 and up was changed. The pistons are not the forged pistons that you would find in earlier models. Hyperauetic (sp?) pistons took over the internals on those models. When it comes to those pistons, I'm not too certain, but I have heard that they are crap. They certainly can't withstand the beating that a forged piston could. This isn't that big of a deal, unless you're looking to throw around 5-10k into the car with modifications and upgrades. If you like the body style for that year, knock yourself out. But remember, instead of sticking out of the crowd, you'll fall into it.

Auto or Manual? Again, it's up to opinion here. Some will argue that their AOD Tranny's are easier and better than a Standard. Others will say the exact opposite. It's all up to you. Personally, I like to be in control of my gears (it helps save on gas and can also produce more power), so I have a standard.

Hatchback or Notchback(Fox Body style ONLY)? Whew, this will bring up an arguement. All up to taste. I prefer the Hatchback look, others think the Notch is a better look. All things aside, the Notchback has a lower weight and if modded equally with a HatchBack might end up beating it in the quarter mile. Given, there are some fast Hatch's out there. Also, some prefer the weight in the back to help gain traction on the track. Preference!

Color? Eh, you're on your own!

MeanGreen covered the rust issue, so I shall skip that.

There are plenty of untouched beauty's out there. Many, many different combinations of color and reliability when it comes to purchasing your Mustang. I can only suggest that you take your time and wait for the right one, don't jump on the first one that you see and regret it later.

Good luck with purchasing your Mustang.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
This is an endlessly debated topic, too. But I think Ford stopped using the forged ones during the '92 model year. Someone posted on here, saying that you can tell from what color the block is painted. The forged ones are what you want, if you're going to use a power adder. The hypereutectic(not sure if I got it right either) ones are still ok for most street cars, but just not as stout. They're more easily destroyed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looks like im the only one with big troubles lol....

I bought a 95 gt coupe, had 90k miles on it, and the second day i had it, i hadnt even driven it yet, it started knocking, it had a bad rod bearing. When we changed the oil we thought it was water, so my problems stemmed from the lack of maintenance from the previous owner.....

So it's had one rebuild, new water pump, timing chain, bearing, hi flow oil pump, front/rear seals, all the goodies.

Then 9 months later my harmonic balancer flew off and ruined all those nice new bearings:( So she got her second rebuild at 100k:)

Since then, my radiator and heater core have gone out at the same time...

Thats about all the problems... lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to everyone that posted, I'll try and keep all of that in mind when buying. I'm quite sure I'll end up with a an 89 or 90. Manual for sure, can't have it any other way personally. The plan for the car is pretty much what is outlined in the begginers guide to modding, in the tech section. I want to get the car around 300hp at the wheels, and from what I understand it shouldnt be that hard. Color? Well, as far as the hatchback I think I'm going to go with a nice red, a deep red, unless I can find one with the silver/blue paint. Notch back, I want to go after a nice silver color. At this point, my prefrance is a notch back, but from the practical point of view a hatchback makes that much more sense. Once again, thanks for all the info, I'm keeping it for sure, and you guys will be first to see pics of the Stang once I buy it.

G

·
mrbob909 said:
Looks like im the only one with big troubles lol....

I bought a 95 gt coupe, had 90k miles on it, and the second day i had it, i hadnt even driven it yet, it started knocking, it had a bad rod bearing. When we changed the oil we thought it was water, so my problems stemmed from the lack of maintenance from the previous owner.....

So it's had one rebuild, new water pump, timing chain, bearing, hi flow oil pump, front/rear seals, all the goodies.

Then 9 months later my harmonic balancer flew off and ruined all those nice new bearings:( So she got her second rebuild at 100k:)

Since then, my radiator and heater core have gone out at the same time...

Thats about all the problems... lol
Man, sucks to be you. I did forget about the months I spent trying to fix a BAD pinging that turned out to be an almost non-existent vacuum hose on the intake.

·
Registered
861 Posts
[QUOTE='95.0 stang]Man, sucks to be you. I did forget about the months I spent trying to fix a BAD pinging that turned out to be an almost non-existent vacuum hose on the intake.[/QUOTE]
What do you mean it sucks to be him? It's great to be him! It would be a vehicle if you didn't need to work on it. And it wouldn't be a Ford if every possible thing that can go wrong with it, does! That's the glory of our 'Stangs. They will ALWAYS need work.

By the way, welcome to the Community. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts