Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my mustang for the first time today since I put a new motor.
Its a 5.0 roller motor and its either brand new or factory refurbished I think.
Cobra intake
GT40 or GT40p heads (I think, could be E40 or something weird)
HO cam
Full exhaust, no cats, no EGR no smog pump, no A/C.
5-speed

So far I have started it, adjusted timing and let it idle at around 1.5k RPM for a few seconds.

Where do I go from here?

also, it smoked a bit while trying to start it, its this just normal surface burn offs?

·
Registered
363 Posts
yes the smoking coming off of the motor its self is normal its from the paint that they put on the engine block to keep it from moister. With my factory refurbished 5.0 i put in my 92 xr7 cougar it told me to make 8- 12 0-55mph drives then let the engine slow the car from55-0 to seat the piston rings then easy driving for the first 3000 miles but with an oil change at 1000-1500 miles should make for a good break in.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should I let it sit and idle at all?
I remember my brother overhauled a nissan altima and Let it rev at like 2.5k rpm for 20 mins before taking out of the garage...

·
Registered
363 Posts
no thats not to worry about most of the time that is for the cam to break in but with having the factory hydraulic roller cam you could actually punish the piss out of the cam but i wouldn't do any hard miles on it tell 3000 miles to properly set the piston rings

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes the smoking coming off of the motor its self is normal its from the paint that they put on the engine block to keep it from moister. With my factory refurbished 5.0 i put in my 92 xr7 cougar it told me to make 8- 12 0-55mph drives then let the engine slow the car from55-0 to seat the piston rings then easy driving for the first 3000 miles but with an oil change at 1000-1500 miles should make for a good break in.
so should I downshift at 50mph? or stay in a high gear?

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
3,000 miles is alot I would probably break it in for 500 before I punished it.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I just got done breaking in a fully built 4.6 and I broke it in for 1500 miles. A lot of people agree that 1500 is a safe number and it doesn't take to long either.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You say, it could be brand new but might be refurbished, it might have gt40 heads but they might be something else. From what I've been told, it depends on how it was built so too bad you don't know more about it.

I bought the class 2 jasper engine and they suggested 500 miles for break in.

I recently had an engine built locally and was told it was built to run, didn't need a breakin. So we did some easy pulls on a dyno then opened it up. It's got about 500 miles on it and no problems so far.

Good luck with your break in.

·
Registered
363 Posts
like i had said with the hydraulic roller cam as long as you can get the rings to etch correctly you can run it as hard as you want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.