Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im swaping my aod to a t5 in my 1990 mustang lx with a 2.3 my question is could i put a t5 from a 5.0 in or do i have to get one from a 2.3....i read that to make it fit you would have to shave the input shaft down..is there an easier way? could i just change the input shaft?

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
The input must be shaved DOWN to install a 5.0 tranny in a 2.3 engine. The pilot bearing is a smaller inside DIAMETER.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
There's a bushing everyone's using to run the big T5 behind a 4cyl.

I want to say it's the pilot bushing for a 2.0 Diesel Ranger, but I can't say for sure. There's a couple of places that may still be around. Search over on turboford,net. There's years of similiar posts there.

I'm not a big fan of machining the input shaft and the shafts are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a V8 T5 in my 2.3L. I used a brass bushing from Rapido and lots of grease for the pilot bearing. The diesel bushing is for using a 4cyl T5 behind a V8.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Yes you can use a brass bushing but they usually stick to the imput when you leave the LINE HARD. I have made custom OILITE bushings in the past but never found a commercial made one. If all else fails hit a bearing company LIKE DALLIC BEARING and spend a day looking at different OILITE BUSHINGS. I normally cut the bose down or machine the crank out for a V* roller bearing. Peace tom

Ps this also has to be done for a 6 SPEEDER CONVERSION

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I have a V8 T5 in my 2.3L. I used a brass bushing from Rapido and lots of grease for the pilot bearing. The diesel bushing is for using a 4cyl T5 behind a V8.
OK who is RAPIDO and what is the part number for the bushing ??? Also how about the part number for the diesel pilot for the 5.0 to 2.3 tranny. My ford guy is at a LOSS with this diesel bearing. This i have heard of but never did it the other way around??????

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
With the factory 3.73s in mine it was drivable, but first gear was like taking off in second, and Fifth will slow down when going up a good hill. Gas milage was better before the gear swap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts