Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, my 5.0 has had the typical idling problems most people experience, bobbing idle, high idle/restart engine back to normal idle, etc. I was slowly replacing parts to fix this problem, and it was steadily getting better, however the problme has reached a new high. Now, my idle is upwards of 2500 RPM and i am able to hit about 50 mph without even touching the gas. I have a new TPS and IAC, i've cleaned my MAF but to no avail. For shits and gigs, however, i unplugged the MAF and started the engine. The car ran rough of course but the idle hovered around 1k the entire time. Before I invest the $150 in a new MAF, does this sound like it's the problem?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
This is just my opinion. I am not a mechanic, so take my word with a grain of salt before you spend your hard earned money.

When you unplug the MAF to my understanding it puts the engine going into 'limp' mode. Running off of tables in the EEC memory instead of the sensors outputs to the EEC. If you're running at 2500 RPM and you unplug the MAF and it drops to 1000 rpm that seems to point to a problem. Then again, it could also be the throttle set screw is in too tight or your butterfly is getting caught open allowing more air into the engine. Might want to look at those just in case. Otherwise, I'd replace the MAF(Since the IAC is new... I'd figure this was more of an IAC problem). There are instructions on how to test a MAF out there somewhere. I googled it and came up with a few pages that looked like it had the procedures but I can't get to them as they're blocked.

Lastly, have you run your codes? Performing KOEO and KOER might shed some light on whats going on better. Here are the instructions in case you want to try:

http://www.sbftech.com/index.php?topic=2471.0

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
you've probably already wasted a bunch of cash replacing stuff that wasnt broken in the first place..dont waste any more $$
check the trouble codes first

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

Took the car into my local pep boys who used to run codes for me, apparently they dont run codes for anything older than a '96 anymore. Ain't that some ****. They did however tell me they offer returns on MAF sensors, so I thought, what the hell, and dropped a new one in. Fixed nothing, was worth a shot. I'll be returning that MAF sensor first thing tomorrow. I am completely at a loss as to what steps to pursue next if I cannot get codes run on my car.

EDIT: I am aware of David.Kinter's post, and I guess I'll be trying that method next, however it was so much easier when I was able to just pull up to a parts store and have them run it for me. I am not familiar with this method at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts