Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a 5.0 for my 67 coupe. Used a short block from a machine shop and added all of the other parts myself. New oil pump, edelbrock performer package (roller cam, heads, intake and carb), lifters, roller rockers, push rods, timing chain and cover, and water pump. I have a intermittent ticking noise on the passenger side that sounds like it is in the head - # 3 cylinder. When I hear the ticking noise I also notice a stumble that is like a miss and when I have a vacuum guage connected it bounces about a degree. Help? Do I have a problem with my brand new edelbrock head or did I do something wrong in the build?
----1967 Coupe w/5.0, AOD, 3.55 posi and shelby lowered front----
----2000 GT w/multiple Steeda mods, underdrive pullyes and 75mm TB----

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well the ticking noise is it all of the time or only at times.
When is it heard more. It could be a few different things.
Also when you installed the heads how did you adjust the
valves? Let me know we are here to help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ticking is intermittent at idle and lower rpms, and doesn't matter if the car is warm or cold. I hear it with the hood up or when I am driving close to something that provides an echo, otherwise I just notice the intermittent miss at stop lights and light acceleration. I used a ford small block guide to set the rockers (1.6 roller) in three stages using the 351 firing order. Initially, I set them at about 5/8s turn and realized that was to much. Now they are at about 1/4 turn. The degree of turn didn't affect the tick at all (it was there at 5/8s turn and it's there now) - did make a differece in starting and over all idle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:eyepoppin Sometimes you can find the answer you need in the dark. Oh, a spark from an MSD distributor with a 6AL attached also makes a ticking noise. Found the problem setting in my drive way with the car idleing in the dark. Sparks make a bright flash and when the ground before they get to the end of the spark plug they also cause intermittent miss/stumble. Explains why I couldn't hear a noise in the block or heads. :winks Have a great weekend.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
If torquing the rocker arm did not solve the problem you may want to pull the valve cover and check to make sure oil is coming out of the rocker arm area. Sometimes people start the car with the cover off and the rocker arm loose and then tighten the arm until the noise goes away.

Were the lifters new?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:laughlitt I had three cracked sparkplugs - found the problem while idleing the car in the dark. On the # three cylinder the spark jump to the metal threaded portion from the cracked ceramic was so strong it was making a ticking noise. I changed all plugs and the ticking noise and stumble went away. Thanks for the advice.Tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.