Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my car for 2 weeks now. It has the stock 5.0 and a five speed transmission. There has been a lot done to this car except to the motor. I was reading about ignition timing on these cars and read where the factory set the timing at 10 degrees. So, I get out my trusty timing light, unplug the spout wire, hook up #1 plug wire and crank her up. To my suprise, the timing was on 0 degrees! I have no idea why. I thought the car felt a little lacking as far as power. So I bumped it up to 14 degrees and filled the tank with 93 octane. HolySmoke! I have a new car now! lol. No pinging either! If you haven't checked and changed your timing from the factory settings, you are missing out on some free HP. Just saying! :D

·
Registered
511 Posts
timing can make a difference on the butt dyno. i had a similar experience checking the timing after a friends shop did some work for me and they had set it around 8-10*. i turned it up between 14-16* and felt a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I have had my car for 2 weeks now. It has the stock 5.0 and a five speed transmission. There has been a lot done to this car except to the motor. I was reading about ignition timing on these cars and read where the factory set the timing at 10 degrees. So, I get out my trusty timing light, unplug the spout wire, hook up #1 plug wire and crank her up. To my suprise, the timing was on 0 degrees!I have no idea why. I thought the car felt a little lacking as far as power. So I bumped it up to 14 degrees and filled the tank with 93 octane. HolySmoke! I have a new car now! lol. No pinging either! If you haven't checked and changed your timing from the factory settings, you are missing out on some free HP. Just saying! :D
But the factory setting is 10 degrees BTC (as you stated) not the 0 that your car was set at. :winks

·
Registered
90 Posts
yes someone probably pulled the distributor didn't mark it, then had to reinstalled to TDC and never set base timing because the car cranked and started.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts