Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a feeling 95% of the people on here haven't seen this so I'll post the link.

A Look Inside the Wiseco, K1, And ERL-Built 351 Coyote Short Block - StangTV.com

Now the reason I'm actually posting is, for those who saw this before and what not, has anyone actually heard any sort of recent news about it? I know we all love our "5.0" engine, but this seems like an amazing upgrade down the road. The bigger the better right?

·
Registered
332 Posts
So I got a feeling 95% of the people on here haven't seen this so I'll post the link.

A Look Inside the Wiseco, K1, And ERL-Built 351 Coyote Short Block - StangTV.com

Now the reason I'm actually posting is, for those who saw this before and what not, has anyone actually heard any sort of recent news about it? I know we all love our "5.0" engine, but this seems like an amazing upgrade down the road. The bigger the better right?
They should've waited for this motor to release the new Boss 302. Should be a very nice engine. Maybe I won't be holding onto my 4.6 v8 as long as I thought. :scratchchin

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that they thought about putting this in the upcoming GT500.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am curious what the rod angle is at bdc? Some rod angles scare the poop out of me in the stroker setups. The 347 strokers have a horrible rod angle. The rod is almost parallel to the ground when at bdc. I wonder if this is similar? If so you won't see me doing this anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Good God!!! Expected to handle up to 2,000 hp and 8k rpm's on the stock heads.:gringreen

That's insane.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very nice. Can't wait to see the numbers when they get it out on the track/street. Could be one heck of an upgrade

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Considering how long the production run of the 4.6 was I seriously doubt a move from 5.0 to 5.8 would be any time soon! Especially with gas hovering around $4 a gallon. I would bet a ecoboost V6 before a 5.8 V8.

·
Registered
146 Posts
forget the dss 5.3 stroker.. where do i get one of these??? lol

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
What do you all think the stroker kit will cost?

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Man.. That is sick! I wonder if this will be powerplant for the 2014? I sure hope so.. 351.. Yes!:kooky:

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Will it come in a station wagon version? I would seel everything I own to get that Mustang.....and I'd need a place to sleep!:surprised

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wiseco is right down the street from me:kooky:. A 5.8 with strong internals would make for a n/a god. I can just imagine it making 550na whp and do the qtr mile in the low 11's that would be perfect.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I am curious what the rod angle is at bdc? Some rod angles scare the poop out of me in the stroker setups. The 347 strokers have a horrible rod angle. The rod is almost parallel to the ground when at bdc. I wonder if this is similar? If so you won't see me doing this anytime soon.
One our club members has a 347 dss and the rod angle isn't too bad and that engine is about 6 years old with several thousand miles on it...and some very hard driving on the laughing gas.

Here is what they have to say about the 351 coyote combo " In terms of market acceptance, racers that have been around the block – real engine builders – are going to take a look at the combination and say ‘that stroke, that rod length, that piston’ and they’ll recognize that it’s a good combination in terms of its ability to hold up to big horsepower,” says Nutter

·
Registered
58 Posts
One our club members has a 347 dss and the rod angle isn't too bad and that engine is about 6 years old with several thousand miles on it...and some very hard driving on the laughing gas.

Here is what they have to say about the 351 coyote combo " In terms of market acceptance, racers that have been around the block – real engine builders – are going to take a look at the combination and say ‘that stroke, that rod length, that piston’ and they’ll recognize that it’s a good combination in terms of its ability to hold up to big horsepower,” says Nutter
It's all in engineering 10 15 years ago this might not have been a reliable option but I think with the new metals and testing this is a solid option.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I don't want more mass over the front wheels. If anything I want less. I'll pass on this.
How do you figure a resleeved block with different pistons/rods is going to be heavier? If it is, it will be such a small difference I doubt anyone would notice. Pistons maybe a few grams heavier, same the the rods. Since the sleeves probably have less material for the larger bore they are probably lighter.

Sounds fun but I've been down the big power N/A route before. It lands up costing a ton just to make almost as much as a blower. I rather just put a TVS/Whipple on a stock motor, make more power for less money.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sounds fun but I've been down the big power N/A route before. It lands up costing a ton just to make almost as much as a blower. I rather just put a TVS/Whipple on a stock motor, make more power for less money.
I guess that is why people are proud to say all motor / no power adders?

Couldn't you do both?

·
Registered
579 Posts
It's a good option for a rebuild down the road for sure. People with big wallets looking to squeeze every bit out of their car won't have many second thoughts about upgrading early most likely.

·
Registered
508 Posts
"Ragains echoed that statement in stating, “A 95mm bore is about the limit, with 96mm a possibility, but you’re talking about naturally aspirated applications only at that point.”​
For those interested in punching their own Coyote block out to 95mm or purchasing one for a new build, ERL is presently equipped to do so"

Finally a way for us to build an 8500 RPM N.A. Coyote. If we can get our block modified, get boss heads cnc ported with huge valves that will now be unshrouded, huge lift cams and duration, 320 c.i.d. (5.2 L) screamer with better piston speed and still keep the tivct.

Sounds like a good future ahead.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts