Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some direction on taking out my windows. I have a spare set of doors to practice on. Both are power window doors, the practice set is 86 and the ones on my car are off an 87. My question is how the heck do i get the windows out?? I've takin out almost every bolt i can find and she's still tight! Can somebody post me a link or give me some good directions? Thanks

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I need some direction on taking out my windows. I have a spare set of doors to practice on. Both are power window doors, the practice set is 86 and the ones on my car are off an 87. My question is how the heck do i get the windows out?? I've takin out almost every bolt i can find and she's still tight! Can somebody post me a link or give me some good directions? Thanks
Here's what you need to do; remove the screws attaching the glass to the stabilizer then pull out the stabilizer. Next, loosen (but do not remove) the 2 screws that attach the door glass front run retainer to the inner door panel. Lower the window until you can access to the glass bracket rivets. Now for the tricky part: drill out the glass bracket attaching rivets and push out the rivets. Carefully remove the window from the door (pull it up and inward).

Don't worry, you won't need to use rivets when reinstalling the window. Instead, use 1/4 -20 X 1in. nuts and bolts. After all of the other parts have been bolted back in, make sure the window works properly then tighten the new bolts to 3-5 ft. lbs.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, another problem I have is the windows like stuck halfway open. I should be able to get it out though from the way you described it. Is it difficult to drill them out without hitting the glass? I usually just drive rivets out with a punch but I feel like thats a little bit of over kill here :rollgrin: I found this pic (not my car obviously) and pointed out what I think you mean. I know its hard to see and I would just take a picture of the door but I don't have it in front of me. Correct me if my little arrows are wrong. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Did you forget to attach the picture????

*Do not try to remove the rivets with a punch.* The window regulator assembly is delicate and using a hammer/punch on the rivets will bend & distort it. Once the regulator becomes damaged, it's almost impossible to fix. Also, the rivets attach to the window on a very weak area and the lateral force required to remove them would undoubtedly cause the glass to shatter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.